Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Our exit from the village was brief and not triumphant. We left first thing the next morning, the beasts from within the lake quelled to a point that the villagers were able to sleep soundly that night. Soundly enough we took our things and simply left, no need for thanks or final words. I could tell Athair wished for the praise, but even then, the Nord had drive and initiative; he wanted more action. There was no time to sit and wait idle.

That doesn’t make things okay, I remind myself. As the morning sun rises and the stars dissipate, we walk the coastline, approaching the jungle ever so quickly. Athair and I remain separated by Aaron and Demi, lacking the words to talk to one another - or any desire to.  I won’t let that dig into me, though. Athair’s actions are reckless and thoughtless - at least I know I won’t stoop that low.

As we walk I feel a hand tighten around mine and I look to see it’s Aaron’s. He doesn’t look at me, only taking my hand and holding it as if I wouldn’t notice. As if he didn’t notice. I let him get away with it.

Demi and Athair move ahead of us, the two quiet among themselves. I notice Demi looking out over the water and I drag my gaze along with hers. The water is still, its ripples shimmering as a pink sun blossoms over the horizon. A flock of birds fly high in the sky in a V-formation, a group most likely migrating to warmer weather. To Ebonhawke, probably, the thought reassuring me we are heading in the right direction home.

I look across the plains around us and find nothing more of interest than the desert around the mine held for us. Unfortunately the world is far more dull than I ever thought it would be.

***

As the jungle floor approaches, the region quickly defines itself as hostile and unwelcoming. The ground seeps in water, vines and roots and rocks scattered everywhere. Dense foliage blocks vision for anything further than twenty paces. Birds sing in the canopy above while bugs hiss and buzz about us, the humidity only adding to the discomfort. It’s evident coastal waters have no affect on the temperature here. It’s as if this place is kept inside a dome.

I pan out to the greater picture, noting the exact size of the jungle can’t be told as it stretches as far as the eye can see in both directions, the body of water becoming engulfed by trees and a deep within the jungle, a plateau of a mountain pokes from above the treetops. That mountain is huge and it doesn’t even come to a peak... I scan as far as I can see, specifically noting the vast range the mountain covers and how well it is concealed by trees. It’s discerning almost… What could be hiding within them? How far does it go? The sight leaves me with chills, something ominous - almost dead - about the mountain doesn’t sit right. I shake the feeling off as Athair and Demi slow pace to come to the side of Aaron and I.

“Ebonhawke is just on the other side,” I say looking past Athair and directly at Demi. “It’s still a long journey, though.”

“We’ll need a plan through then,” Demi says.

Athair speaks up now, “We cut straight through, no delays.”

I look at him distastefully. He’s already making conclusions without thinking a thought about our environment.“That would never work,” I say. “The mountain ahead is too much of a delay, climbing over that would take weeks. We’re better off taking the time to go around it.”

“And burn how much more time?” Athair starts raising his voice. “Look at the width of that thing, it would take us forever to get around it - and look at all these trees? We can hardly see in front of us, how does that make traveling by jungle floor any faster?”