Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“What?” My knees weaken, stomach churning.

“Don’t play stupid now,” one of the guards says to me as he ties my hands behind my back.

I look to him, “Stupid? There is nothing stupid about what has happened here today!”

The guard ignores me, walking my greatsword over to Lynx who quietly tells the guard, “Put that in the cart, it’s going with her.”

“What do you mean going with me?” I attempt to confront Lynx but the other guard takes hold of my shoulder and pulls me back. “Lynx what is going on here?”

“What is going on here? Why don’t you tell me? Why don’t you explain to me why there is a giant hole in the side of Manor Arnith!” Lynx is furious, and by the way his brows furrow, the way his eyes meet mine - utterly confused and betrayed.

“Lynx…” I begin, aware of his confusion now. I search for the words. I want to be soft, kind to Lynx. I want him to be my friend and for him to be by my side in this and for him to see what I have seen. But he is the law. There is no reasoning with the law. And so I stiffen, speaking confidently, firmly, and on the offensive. “On what charges am I under arrest?”

He mimics me, without a doubt unsure of how to respond in this situation. “Trespassing and destruction of noble property with the intent of espionage against said nobility. Therefore, Lyra Koss, you are charged with treason for your acts against the crown.”

The reason within me fails, “Treason!” The anger rages within me, “Have you no idea what Lord Arnith has been up to? He is the traitor!” Several members of the crowd gasp at my bold accusation, murmurs sweeping through. I ignore them. “Inside that room is evidence of Lord Arnith’s whereabouts, that he is raising an army to seige Ebonhawke and he is manipulating rogue Guardians to get an inside contact. Additionally he is in negotiations with the Sabres, forging an alliance to take full control of the city and her people.”

Lynx does not hesitate, “Those are very daring accusations you make, Lyra.” He looks away from me, fearful of his next response. I can see he does not want to be my enemy. Within him I can see the pain. He does not want to arrest his best friend’s daughter. “Lyra…” he pauses, cautious, refusing to look me in the eye. “What evidence can you present to me.”

“His journal.”

Lynx looks to me now with security, relieved at the thought he may just not have to arrest me. “Very well, present it.”

I indicate to the guard next to me to unbutton the pocket where I stored the journal. He does so, not easily as the button is stuck. But he gets it open. He reaches in, pulling his hand out to reveal nothing. “Is this some game to you?” The guard looks to me disgusted.

“What? No” Where did it go? I had it in my pocket, it was in my pocket!” I struggle trying to find it, my hands no use I desperately feel for it in my armor somewhere, but it’s a lost hope. It’s gone.

Lynx does his best to ignore my struggle, urging forward, “Lyra… if you cannot produce any evidence, I must arrest you.”

“But the journal! It talked of separatist camps and these darks arts and some sort of elite team dedicated to take out the wall! Lynx, you have to believe me, I saw Arnith! I saw him in the Guardians graveyard, he was talking with Rudolph!” I motion my head towards his body. “Rudolph had transformed in there, Lynx. Arnith was experimenting on him, I saw him become some beast who tried to kill me!

“That’s enough Lyra. Your testimony isn’t enough. What happened in there is out of my jurisdiction.”

My heart rates begins to ramp up, I feel the sweat beading at my forehead. I beg, plead, “Lynx you have to believe me. You can’t charge me with treason, you know what the punishment is.”