Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The path we walk is long and desolate. Demi’s people have been long out of sight by now, just the two of us traveling along an endless path towards Ebonhawke. The area around us is not subject to the brutal snow storms the mountains experience, but the land is no more forgiving - constant heavy winds kick dust into the air, buffeting our armor more and more as we make our way slowly. Several times we have stopped to make shelter, but we’ve soon learned to give up on that due to the frequency of the winds and the lack of terrain to hide within.

Instead we endure the discomfort of thousands of particles scratching and denting our armor, sneaking their way inside and settling along the chest and stomach and legs. Thousands of little particles that scrape and scratch while walking. The feeling is agonizing, but we walk on, making turns where the occasional sign indicates.

Demi looks about her armor now, feeling about her arms and legs, finding several small holes and hundreds of little pits drilled in the area of her stomach. “We need a repair.”

I take notice of her armor, looking to mine. It’s bad. But we don’t have the ability to repair. We won’t for a while. “I’m sure we can make due,” I lie, hoping Demi might just agree.

Demi eyes me and I know she isn’t buying it. “This isn’t an option, Lyra. Look at your armor,” she points to several spots on my stomach where the sand has worsened the dents already made to my armor from being thrown atop a pile of junk at the prison. “One sword strike, and that whole region will collapse.” She moves her hand up to the shoulders, indicating several gashes in the metal. “This won’t defend you at all,” she slides a few fingers inside. “A sword could easily find its way in and slash the neck.”

Irritated by her argument, I stop her there. “Then what do you suggest we do?”

“Find a place to rest, first. And maybe there we can inquire about repairs.”

I laugh not at her, but with her. “And where do you suggest we find that!” I motion an arm around us, the winds kicking up more sand causing us to lose sight of the area around us. I put a hand on her shoulder and indicate to sit, ducking my head down to breathe. We sit and wait for the sand storm to blow over.

“Perhaps we need to look for a ride then, there should be caravans traveling along here?” Demi shouts over the winds.

“We haven’t seen one yet, what makes you think we’ll find one now?” I shout back. The sands subside and we rise to our feet. Demi immediately looks to the horizon while I await an answer. She doesn't speak, only looking in the distance. “Demi?” she doesn’t respond, locking eyes far away from mine. “Demi we need to keep moving, no point in standing here.” I reach to take her arm but she instead takes off running.

“There!” she points far down the road, “A caravan!”

“How did you-?” I stop talking and pick up pace behind her, dashing down the road towards a faint splotch that distorts from the heat reflecting off the path. How did you not see that? You’re the scout… Jealousy comes over me, You should have seen that.

As we approach, the shape makes itself more and more clear. It’s certainly a caravan. A motorized one as well - those are rare. Those are larger than Ox drawn ones, slightly faster too, but not by much; They only go at a jog’s pace if the wind is right. But they’re made of steel versus the wood ones you’d find in the cities, strong enough to endure even the sand storms out here. To find one of these means you’re dealing with serious traders, ones that traverse Rah several times a month. They have to be heading to Faith’s calling.

As Demi approaches and I catch up, one of the men aboard brings the mammoth to a slow stop, another shouting down to us. “Hold travelers!” Demi stops immediately while I run to her side. “What are yous doin’ out ‘ere?”