Chapter 19

Chapter 19

“Ebonhawke? Isn’t that the stronghold far south of these mountains?” Athair asked, having long lost his drunken stupor by now, waking to the warm breeze of a rising sun across the ashes of Rah. We had been walking for some time now, slowly working our way about the desert in search of some form of arms - Demi and I still operating on the crude provisions we have. For the better part of the morning we have remained silent, especially as Athair slowly came back to his wits. Now that he is functioning, though, it is time to make some headway.

“Yes,” I say.

He sent a laugh her way. “How do you plan on making it there any time soon?”

“We don’t. But we will do our best,” Demi replied.

I lead, with Demi on my right and Athair on my left, both slightly trailing behind as we walked the desolate road to the jungle, hoping to stumble upon something. Dust and ash kicks across the virgin road, untouched by most carts since its creation perhaps. Maybe we are the first to walk it? I note a rabbit sitting in the shade of a small tree down the road. Or maybe not. I guess the question comes down to why, then, this road is used. How many have walked it in search of food? How many on the brink of death? How many in hopes of finding something of value, some form of new life or untold riches? How many have used it to go to war? The morning heat was settling in quickly, the cool air of night past quickly fleeing as the sun rises more and more.

“How do you two plan to fight in that gear, exactly?” Athair refused to look at us, which was okay. Neither of us was going to look back at him anyways - our eyes were trained on the jungle ahead.

“We don’t,” I say, “That’s why you are here now.”

“So I can do all the killing while you two watch? Ha! A challenge only a real Nord can handle!”

Demi rolled her eyes. “Tell me when we find that real Nord then.” Athair’s jaw dropped, leaving his mouth gaping. “You’re here to help us get provisions. And if you do a good job, maybe we’ll let you in on our little secret.” Demi winked, giving him a friendly nudge in the side.

Athair smiled at her play but when she returned to herself the smile dropped and he answered quickly. “Sure.”

I continued to scan the path ahead, searching for some trace of hunters or traders, some traveling caravan, or even Sabres. I wanted to find Sabres. Something I could kill guiltless. I had a feeling that would never come, though. Not out here on the edge of their territory. We’ll have to wait until we get closer to the jungle. Sabre troops will have to be patrolling that region, without a doubt.

As we carried on, time became hard to pass. I knew we were approaching the jungle slowly, but it never appeared to become closer. Every step only seemed more and more useless. Demi held an undying patience, her mind aloft and head held high, observant of the world around us and perhaps deep in thought. There’s that something. How can she remain so calm at times like this?

Athair is the greater puzzle, though. Without argument he has followed us, unaware of what is truly ahead or the possible struggles he could face. He’s left the comfort of his seat at the bar and simply walked away. Why? What’s his motive? His people are not of our concern, but he follows us as if we are off to find them.I let the thought settle for a moment and I realize we might just be after his people after all. He did say no one knew where or why they were disappearing - only that they were searching high and low across all of areas of Rah. Maybe he’s coming along for just that. To see what Ebonhawke could hold. I steal a glance over my shoulder, scanning Athair from face down - his beard neatly tamed, his axes by his sides glimmering in the sun. From the corner of my eye I see his head is turned towards Demi. I twist the other way to look at Demi, who's looking away but with a faint smile on her face. A satisfied smile. Something tells me he’s here for more than just his people. That’s good. If these are the people I will be at Ebonhawke with, we need to be ready for anything. We need to be able to work as one, and play to each of our strengths.