Chapter 22

Chapter 22

With sun high overhead, Demi and I set out into the village. I look about the area, noting the structures, the scenery, the people - everything that the Nords have to offer in their knowledge of the natural world. The homes strike me - not because of their appearance, they’re the exact same as the four halls in each corner. Rather, they’re only single floor. Ebonhawke is all multi floored buildings, but it’s a city. I’ve never seen a village before yet this place is almost the size of Ebonhawke and here it is with single floor homes... how does it fit everyone?  I look over to Demi to see if this strikes her as odd, but she couldn’t be less concerned with what’s around her. What’s on her, however, is the issue as she loosens and shifts and tugs the belt of her plate leggings, unable to find a comfortable spot. I can’t blame her, this jute gown isn’t any better. But it’s all we have at the minute.

“Are you not getting repairs?” I asked her, trying to pull her attention away from the belt.

She stops fiddling and looks up, “No. The Shaman has offered to have a set specially crafted, something lighter and more appropriate for ‘the mage type’. Whatever that means.”

“The Shaman does seem to see something in you, maybe that’s a good thing,” I say.

“Yeah,” she says. “But what?”

“Maybe more of the legend behind the Halfbreeds, like Athair had told us.”

I wait for her to say something but she doesn’t, instead returning to her belt in silence as we continue to walk. I return to examining our surroundings, looking at the people from all angles. The Nords I met in the mine are nothing like the Nords here. The way they dress, the way they interact with one another. It’s all so strange. The Women wear long coats but they taper into some form of  dress once they reach the waist. And the men don’t even use shirts? Is it to see the tattoos all over their backs? Maybe that’s why the women wear those dress things - to see the tattoos on their legs.I nod, content with that explanation, albeit most likely wrong. I continue to look at a mother and her shirtless son walk by, a wolf at their feet.

“I never did understand the shirtless thing,” Demi spoke now, noticing I was staring at the young boy. “Perhaps it’s something to show endurance. If you asked me, it just shows ignorance.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Look at Athair,” she says. “If it weren’t for the plate mail on his back he would have been diced finely by those axes. Taking off the shirt doesn’t make you invulnerable. It makes you stupid.”

“I can’t argue that,” I say. Athair wouldn’t have been able to save Demi without that armor. No matter how ridiculous or disgraceful he felt wearing it. I look towards the statue and spot Athair in the distance. “Look,” I point towards Athair.

“That’s not him,” Demi says.

“Of course it is!” I say. “Don’t you see the shape of his beard?” I point out.

Demi looks closer and notes his beard and nods her head, only to jump once she knew it was him. “Where in Raven’s gaze is his shirt!?” she shouts, picking up pace into a jog towards him. I continue to walk, the rough jute gown makes it difficult to move freely.

As I approach the two, I over hear part of their conversation.

“I am having it enhanced,” Athair says. “I’ll have it later tonight.”

“What do you mean by enhanced?” Demi asks.

“Just some adjustments…” Athair says, taking the opportunity to change the topic once I arrive. “Good, we’re all here. Walk, I have something to show you.”