Chapter 1: Moving To La Push

I took a deep breath in through my nose, watching the blue ocean waves roll down onto shore.

   A fall breeze blew through, brushing my hair past my shoulders to guide it with the wind.

  Everything was at peace.

  Slowly my eyes fluttered shut, my heart beating at a relaxing pace as I curl my toes into the wet sand below me.

   I let the air I held through my nose come out through my mouth, opening my eyes once more.

   Stray surfers rode the early- morning waves, their wet suits were on and go pros were strapped on their forehead.

   Only if I could just join them once last time.

   Then sun had hardly peaked through the horizon, leaving a light pale blue tint in the heavens, mixed with gray from the night that had past.

   It was truly a beautiful morning and I couldn't have felt more at peace.

   Just before I thought this morning could only get better, the sound of a car engine and many voices rang down from my house to the beach far below it.

   A sigh escaped my lips as a frown appears in place, looking back at the blue ocean one last time. I knew I wouldn't be seeing it again for a long, long time.

   "Hazel! Come on we need to go! We're going to miss our flight!"

   I stuff my hands into the back of my jean pockets, looking over my shoulder to see my mom standing by the car, quickly tapping her wrist.

  I look back at the water, my heart aching just to feel it one last time before I left.

  Taking a step forward, letting my thoughts take control as I  ignore my mothers demands, I dip my feet into the cold, aqua- blue waters.

   Waves brushed over my ankles as I take another deep breath in, smelling the fresh air mixed with a faint sea salt touch to it.

   "Hazel Moana Ross! Get your tail feather up here now!"

    I quiet groan sounded from my lips as I hesitantly turn away from the ocean, heading up to the home I will soon be leaving.

   My mother stood there with her hands on her hips while her foot was anxiously tapping against the ground.

   Her expression made me quicken my pace.

   "Sorry, momma. I just wanted to see the ocean before we left." I admit, my hands still stuffed in my back jean pockets.

   She simply sighed, nodding her head as she turned her gaze towards the rest of my family standing off in front of the slide in doors.

    My three brothers, two older, one younger, and my father stood there, sad expression on their faces.

   My frown grew more as I walked over to them, my hair blowing in front of my face as I began to do so.

   My dad opened his arms up, expecting me to walk into them which I gladly did.

   I tightly wrapped my arms around his torso as his went around my shoulders, resting his head on top of mine.

   "We're going to miss you so, so much, kuʻu manu manu."

    My eyes closed tightly as I held back tears, though a smile remained when he used my nickname.

   "As to you, ʻO kaʻu manu manu."

    I whisper back as we release , I moving onto my other brothers.

   I looked over at my eldest brother, Evan. His eyes bright green, and hair dark brown, his feathers held my fathers perfectly.