Icing On The Cake

I had so much fun at my baby shower. We played cheesy games and had cake. I was given advice on motherhood and told stories about what Lindsey and I were like as babies. At the end, I was hugged, kissed and my belly was rubbed about a million times before the door finally shut and it was just the two of us again. I was sad to see everyone go but I couldn't wait to put all of the gifts in the room we had chosen to be the nursery. We received so many outfits for our little one in different sizes and colors, books, toys, and some decor pieces for the nursery all following a similar celestial theme. Soon, we could turn the baby's room into something so special but we still have to wait for furniture. Despite my worry that it will not arrive in time, I feel much better about preparation. I can breathe a little easier now.

Weeks pass and the nursery begins to take shape. I wash all of the tiny clothes we were gifted and organize them in the closet by intended age. The furniture should be arriving soon but we still have no word on when. I try to conceal my worry. My need to nest and feel ready heightens even more as I come to my final week. Instead of rushing the process, hoping the baby is here soon, I find myself asking the baby to stay in a little longer. I don't mind if he or she is late, as long as we have furniture for her. Lindsey doesn't seem to mind much and that's even more frustrating.

"We were gifted a bassinet, the baby can sleep there while we wait on the crib." he tells me but for some reason, I still worry. He takes me into his arms and holds me until I stop crying. He whispers words of comfort in my ear, I know I'm being slightly irrational but at 39 weeks, who wouldn't be. I've housed a tiny (but growing) person for months and as excited as I am to meet them, examine their features and decide who in the family they belong to, I wonder, will I be a good mother? Can I really do this? We have tours, albums, commitments that I have pushed back and postponed for so long. It's obviously no secret anymore that Lindsey and I have a baby on the way so I hope everyone understands...but still I hate to let people down. "I see those wheels turning. You're still thinking about something." He pulls back, smiling at me. "Wanna talk about it?"

"We've talked about it before, baby, but I appreciate it."

"If talking helps, I don't mind listening for a second, third--"

"Or millionth"

"--time. No, not at all. And!- you can talk to me as much as you want while I build this beautiful bassinet that did not come assembled despite the money spent." Lindsey jokes and I feel myself relaxing a little. As much as he winds me up, he is the only one who can calm me down so quickly. He really is my second half, my missing piece.

We go upstairs and enter the nursery. He sits me down in the chair I will be nursing our precious baby in and surveys the box in the middle of the floor.

"You really don't have to do this for me." I tell him and he looks back at me.

"I'm going to. The baby could be here any day, any minute and I want her to have a comfortable place to sleep. Plus, it will give you a little peace of mind." His expression changes and his forehead creases as he kneels in front of me. "I'm really sorry the furniture isn't here. I honestly thought it would be."

"Me too but it will be worth it when it arrives."

"And I've paid for assembly so you and I won't have to worry about a thing except caring for Baby Buck." He kisses the back of my hand and smoothes my knuckles. "I love you so much, Steph, and I want to make sure you're happy. That's the only thing that matters to me."

"I love you too, but your happiness matters too."

"I know it does but I'm happy when you're happy." He smiles and so do I. "So what do ya say? I start on the bassinet and you read a book to the little one. I know she can hear our voices in there"

"That's a perfect idea."

He grabs his tools, becoming quite the handy guy since I told him I was pregnant. It brought out something in him, maybe it was pride, or seeing just how difficult baby items were to assemble that made him step up his game. Whatever it was, he's been doing everything! Something about this side of him is so attractive. Maybe it's the hormones!

I start of reading a book my mother had gifted us at the baby shower, feeling the baby kick beneath my hand which seemed glued to my belly now, especially as the weeks passed. As tired or achy I feel, I know I will miss being pregnant. I wanted this, but I don't think I ever believed it would happen for me. Now as I'm on the brink of becoming a mother, I couldn't be happier. Lindsey as a father has been something I've thought about for a long time. In our youth, I knew it would help him grow up a little and share the burden of work with me. He's always been protective, cleverly disguising it as jealousy. We joined Fleetwood Mac and we had always been so busy, I thought it would be a disaster. I think this baby came to us at the perfect time, we could settle a little and we felt a freedom I don't think we ever had before. It killed me to cancel my tour but knowing I could do that, then go back when it was right was something I always wanted. I have my Lindsey, we're married and we're home owners...our baby is just the icing on the cake. As soon as the furniture comes, I think I will be ready to meet her.

Hopefully she stays put.

A/N: thank you for staying with me on this. I should probably stop apologizing for being MIA as that might just be a thing I do, I go off the radar for a while then I come back and I'm ready. We all need breaks sometimes and I have a lot more hobbies now, even if it's diving head first into life without my phone which is my primary (and only) device I use to write on wattpad. I really do enjoy writing stories and I'm more than happy to work on requests but they won't always be up the next day. I wish that were so. Anyway, this story is coming to a close in the next chapter and I once again wanted to thank you for the votes, reads and comments. They make me so happy and show me how much you enjoy my work (which I hope you do). I love you all so much for your support. You're amazing. Also, side note, I cannot believe I've been on here for a year now! Crazy!