Secret Destination

When I wake up, we've landed and Lindsey's face is hovering inches from mine.

"Wake up, sleepy head. We're here."

"Where is here?" I ask with a yawn and he chuckles.

"I'm still not telling you."

"Am I a hostage? I just really need to know, Linds." I feign a serious tone and he laughs again.

"No, you're not a hostage. You came with me willingly and I promise you won't regret it." I eye him suspiciously and his smile broadens, presenting his hand to me. I get up from my comfortable spot and allow him to lead me down the stairs. Our luggage is put into the trunk of another car and we wind down many tiny, mostly one lane roads. I look at the street signs, hoping for any clue of where we are and he turns my face to his, kissing my lips gently. "Can you relax? You're safe, does it really matter?" I look into his eyes then sink down deeper into the seat. He kisses my head and I spend the rest of our drive just looking at him. The car stops and we get out in front of this gorgeous, rustic old house with a black wrought iron balcony on the second floor and cascading flower boxes beneath the windows. I watch as he takes a key from the driver and unlocks the door. I look around and recognize nothing. There are delicate willows and a large body of water- a lake or a pond, I do not know.

"Where--?"

"Shh...let's go inside." he tells me and I nod. He pushes the door open and the driver follows with our luggage. I gasp automatically. The inside is opulent with rose embossed wallpaper, gold trim and incredible crystal chandeliers. There is a chaise in one corner, a sage green fainting sofa, a deep purple conversation chair and when I look up properly, a large mural of angels and sky. There is a grand staircase, gold sconces the entire way up with candles rather than electric lights. My eyes are overwhelmed with trying to absorb everything. I see cherubs scattered about and it seems as if the home has been meticulously decorated. No detail is too small to be noticed as we travel from the black and white tiled kitchen to the matte and high gloss emerald green striped formal dining room. He opens large white doors and we walk out onto the patio where there is a sprawling lush green lawn with an enviable rose garden. Below my feet are travertine tiles and I smile. The sun is setting and it's the first time I've actually taken note. It was night when we left and it was quickly becoming night as we settled in.

"Wh--?" I begin to ask again and he smiles, pulling me into his side.

"Where are we?" he asks and I nod. "Versailles." I draw in a breath of excitement and kiss him hard, my arms around his neck. The force nearly knocks him over and he laughs. "Do you like it?"

"I love it. Thank you."

"I know we've been to France many, many times but we reconnected here and I wanted a place we could actually relax. The house was said to belong to someone in the royal family around the time of Marie Antoinette's reign. It was a retreat from the city- a place to regroup, feel released from commitments and duties as well as a place to enjoy nature."

"It's perfect. Thank you so much." I feel tears welling up in my eyes and he kisses me.

"Let me show you the upstairs." He leads me back inside, hand in hand, and we ascend the gorgeous staircase. He acts as if he knows his way around and I just stare up at him in awe. How did I get so lucky? Another key unlocks our bedroom and he lets me go in first. "I'm going to grab our suitcases. Look around." He smiles, leaving the room and I walk through the entrance into a huge white and gold chamber with a giant canopied, four post bed. Tasseled tiebacks keep the thick floor to ceiling drapes open and allow in a beautiful glow from the moon. I touch the walls carefully, as if the oils on my fingers will destroy any beauty the room has. It feels wrong to sit or sleep in a room like this but it's too tempting to resist. I sit down on the bed and Lindsey comes back. The energy in the room is high and I turn to look back at him, smiling.

"You really did all of this for me?"

"Of course I did, I love you."

"I love you too, Lindsey." He looks at me, lowering his eyes and walks toward the bed. He touches the linens with his fingertips.

"I haven't been completely honest with you." he tells me, sitting down and his tone changes.

"Oh?"

"This trip is kind of a big deal and I'm afraid that when I tell you the real reason I brought you here, you won't be very happy with me..."

"Well, what is it?" I ask. He strokes my face and I smile softly at him. His eyes meet mine and I can tell he's struggling. "Is it...bad?" He shakes his head. "You can tell me anything, baby. I promise, I won't be mad."

"I brought you here, to marry you." My eyes widen and he looks away. "I should have told you the truth. Your parents aren't here yet but my mother and brothers arrived this morning and will be staying in Paris. Mom will probably drag them out to sight see." He chuckles a little with the last statement.

"When will my parents be here?" I ask and his thoughts completely scramble. "Maybe um, tomorrow...that is, if you want them to. We didn't want to overwhelm you. I know it's a lot and I should have been more forthcoming. When you said yes when we were on tour and you were so nervous about planning a wedding I thought this would help. But it doesn't, does it? This is bad, right?" he asks, adorably flustered and nervous.

"No, Lindsey, it's perfect. Call my parents and tell them to come. I will be more than happy to marry you no matter where we are, no matter how it happens."

"Really?"

"Yes"

"And you're not mad?"

"Why would I be? Look at this place! You treat me like a princess and I couldn't be happier with you and our life. I didn't want a big wedding, despite what you may have thought. I just wanted it to be us and our very closest family and friends to surround us with love on our special day. I love you, Lindsey. This is better than I ever could have imagined in my wildest dreams."

Lindsey's eyes mist over and a single tear falls down his cheek. "I love you, Steph." He touches my face, wiping my own tears. "I love you more than I could possibly say."

"I feel the exact same way." We leaned forward simultaneously and our lips met in the most tender yet passionate kiss I had ever experienced. All I can think about is by the time we go home and my tour begins, my soulmate and I will be joined for life- Mr. and Mrs. Buckingham.