Calidisi

Prologue

Have you ever talked to yourself within the walls of your mind then have someone else break in and share their thoughts with you?

Thinking about me again, are you?

Shut up! I'm trying to tell a story here!

Have you wanted the ability to read the thoughts of others? A thrilling thought, maybe, to have this power.

I am what they call Calidisi, superhumans, shunned in the world of mutated animals, insects, and humans. My father shuns these mutants, even hunting them down in the annual Stinguo, a five month long competition of annihalating these mutants.

What my father dosen't know is I'm apart of these mutated kind.

You might be mutated but I'm sexy!

You are definetely not sexy!

Jealous much?

Ignoring!

My mother was a mutant when she met him. He didn't know and he fell in love with her. She was slim, intelligent, and beautiful everything a man would want for thier woman, she possessed. She was also afraid to tell my father who and what she was. My father had been bred to kill every mutant he could get his hands on, some were easier to spot, others weren't. Because of this, she had feared what he would be forced to do. The Calidisi are the most coveted kill because they are the rarest mutants and the most developed of all.

My mother was a Calidisi.

My mother had harboured her secret from him for ten years. She beared his children; Andor, Evie, and I as the youngest, Nailah.

Nai! Nai!

...ignoring...

Aw! Why!

...still ignoring...

I bear the name of my great, great, great grandmother, the mother Calidisi. She was a scientist, one of the best in her time, and one accidental spill changed her life forever as well as her partner, Jonan. They inhaled a substance that attached to their DNA structure, reconstructing the fiber of their being allowing them the special ability to read, communicate, and do other things with their mind granted to their special DNA structure.

The Calidisi power was passed down and spread about mankind as new generations came from my great, great, great grandmother and Jonan and thier kids and so on. The Calidisi gene is recessive though so only few offspring possess the power. I was one of the few, my brother, Andor, and my sister, Evie, didn't posess the gene.

Don't forget me!

Yeah, yeah you got it too.

My mother knew as I grew inside of her that I possessed the power as she was able to enter my mind. Calidisi can only communicate with other Calidisi once they have come into contact with them. She took careful care with me as an infant and conditioned me as a toddler to keep queit about my ability. I was her legend.

All too soon though my father grew suspicious as to why my mother spent so much time with me. Late nights mother would read bedtime stories about the great adventures of the Calidisi and my father began to listen upon them. My mother went to her room that night and my father was waiting on her. He questioned and demanded for her to stop. She wouldn't.

Secretly she would communicate the stories in my mind then when I turned six she would take me out into the woods where she would push me to move things with my mind. That was my unique power. My mother could rearrange a person's memory, a strong power, which is why the elders wanted to protect her, but my mother fell in love with the enemy, my father. To the elders, her unique power was wasted.

My father decided to follow us on my seventh birthday. My mother wanted to teach me something special. She sat me down on a rock and began to tell me a Caladisi story, I listened intently. Then she stopped with her story. I looked to her confused then I heard a rustling sound of leaves. My father came out of the brush, his face seething with anger.

I hid behind a tree as my father screamed at her for disobeying him. Soon he came to a quiet whisper and asked her why she told me these stories, how did she know about them? My mother burst into tears and communicated in my mind to run. I closed my eyes and quickly sprinted away from them.

I never saw my mother again. After I ran she put up a block in her mind so I wouldn't be able to sift through her mind. Later my father came and found me in my room crying to myself and hushed me to sleep.

Later I learned that he sent my mother to the mutant overseers, at the time he was still climbing his way to the top with mutant killings, and they decided my mother's destiny. As for us children, my father believed that none of us had the mutant inside of us. He analyzed me for a year, I giving no suspicion to my ability, he finally reported to the overseers that we were not mutants.

Now my father is a top overseer, in competition with Fredal, another top overseer.

Fredal's son, Xander, is also a Calidisi. His mother, Fredal's mistress was a Calidisi. Fredal's wife was sterile and Xander was his only child, also a son, so he took him as his own as well as wife without anyone knowing the truth expect Xander, his mother, my mother, and I.

Finally I come into your story!

You are so freaking annoying!

Nai,  why do you lie to yourself? I know you lo-o-ove me.

No, I don't! Why don't you just...just... go away!

No, you just got to the good part in your story! Go on, talk about me, we all know you love me!

Xander San Lucio Harrison, if you don't stop with the jokes I'll...

You'll what? Admit that you love me?

I could literally feel him giggling like a little girl.

Xander Harrison is a Calidisi. His mother was my mother's best friend and fellow Calidisi. She was cut off from Xander when Fredal took him for his own with his wife. They didn't want anyone finding out that Xander was never bore by his wife, so Fredal offered money to Xander's mother. She refused it. Fredal grew angry and things took an ugly turn. She went into hiding but when she found out about my mother's visit ot the overseers, it is believed she went into hiding with the elders.

Xander Harrison and I, Nailah Riccardi, are Calidisi, and this is our story.

Oh, you make it sound looming.

I smacked my head. Shut up Xander...