Chapter 18: Irene

Irene

Irene

I lost grip on the phone, watching as it landed screen down on the hard wood floor.

That's when I started to panic.

Enrique's ass would kill me if he knew I was going through his phone again. I bent down and carefully picked it up, damn there crying when I realized there was a long vertical crack running down the center. I had to act quickly.

All I had to do was run down to the Apple Store and get the exact same one-

My thoughts were interrupted by the opening and closing of the door in the foyer. "Irene!" Enrique's voice sounded down the hallway.

Fuck, fuck, fuck!

I threw the phone under the pillow and dug deeper back under the covers. "In here!"

I heard him shuffling down the hall and all of a sudden he was in the door way, going through the mail. He eyed me suspiciously and I fidgeted underneath the blanket. "Hey um, so we're low on groceries, I was really thinking I should go out and get that taken care of cause I don't wanna try and figure it out later tonight-"

I trailed off when he shook his head slowly and laughter bubbled up and out of his lips. Damn. My dumbass really need to learn how to act cool.

He came over to me and bent down to kiss my forehead. As much as I tried, I couldn't help but flinch at the gesture. If he noticed, he didn't say anything.

"The doctor said bedrest, remember? I'll go handle it, just write down a list."

I let out a breathe of relief and chuckled a little bit, "Yeah ok."

He smiled back and looked around, "I'll go in a sec, just let me grab my phone and car keys."

My smile slowly slipped away. I plastered it back on as soon as he looked back at me, "You know where my phone is?"

I managed to give him the most confused look I could, "No, where'd you have it last?"

"In here, I know for a fact..." he gazed at me a little longer and then got up, "weird. I'll go look for it then I'll go to the store. Stay in bed though, ok?"

I nodded, smiling and swallowing the lump in my throat; he said it more as more of a command than anything else. Enrique left and then I heard the bathroom door close. I sprang up and made my way to the kitchen, but not before grabbing his phone. My car keys rested on the counter and I snatched them up along with my jacket and boots. I slipped out of the door quietly, looking behind me constantly.

When I got to my car, I let out a breath once I got into my car, turning on the heat instantly. I thought about to Adrienne's but immediately dismissed that idea.

I hadn't talked to her in months, and if I went over there I'd have to explain everything. I was closing in on five months pregnant, and whether or not it was Enrique's was a mystery to me. Reggie had tried to contact me multiple times to the point where I had to change my number. Either way I had to find a way out. Between Reggie's constant abuse and Enrique's cheating, I didn't need my baby seeing either.

I carefully unlocked his phone and scrolled through his messages, frowning at all the hoes he had in his thread. My chest heaved and I threw the phone out of the window, not caring where it landed.

The only place I could think to go was back to my parents. I wasn't up for the lecture but it was better than being with a walking STD.

I stopped at Walmart first. Pregnancy cravings were a bitch.

I rubbed my belly thoughtfully as I walked down the snack isle, "What we hungry for tonight, mamas?" I cooed to my belly.

She wasn't even here yet, but this little human being was already at the center of my universe. All I wanted to do was cradle her warm body in my arms and braid that beautiful hair.

"Imma teach you how to fend for yourself. Don't get mixed up in these fuck niggas."

I must've looked crazy as hell whispering to my stomach, but I didn't give a shit.

"You ok miss? I ain't gotta call a psych ward or nothin', do I?"

I looked up at the owner of the Atlanta drawl with a hint of annoyance. He was tall, brown skin with tattoo sleeves that ran up the both of his arms. Brown dreads pulled back in a ponytail and the prettiest set of white teeth I ever saw on a hoodlum. Or at least that's what I assumed he was. He wore black joggers, a plain blue shirt and blue hurraches on his feet. T

I gave him a look of disgust, "I'm fine, excuse me."

He didn't move, "I ain't tryna offend, just-"

"I have to go, get out of my way please." I said through gritted teeth.

"Your man let you go out alone in this condition?" He asked.

I opened my mouth to snap at him and then thought better of it. He really seemed concerned. "I don't have a man." I said after a while.

He clicked his tongue, "A shame. You too pretty for that bullshit."

I felt my cheeks warming up and slightly smiled, brushing my hair to the side.

He continued, "If you really here alone, I could pay for whatever you need. It wouldn't be a problem."

I really didn't need his charity. Money wasn't an issue but it made me feel good nonetheless. "Actually that's-"

I stopped mid-sentence as a light skin woman rounded the corner and tugged on his shirt sleeve, "Damn, why I every time I find you, you tryna dick down another bitch? Let's fucking go Pharaoh."

I felt my blood start to boil. Of course he had a girl. If it wasn't one thing, it was always another.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." I said apologetically.

"Aye hol-"

I continued down the aisle, wiping frustrated tears from my face.

Hiiii! It's been a long time but I can only write when I'm in that mindset and shit's been hectic for me. This is just a short little chapter concerning my girl Irene's situation but your regularly scheduled program is in the next chapter.

The three pictures above are what I picture Irene looking like, but you may have a completely different idea! Thanks for reading loves 💕