Chapter 8: Blowing Smoke

Adrienne

"I'm bouta to pull up."

Khyree's deep voice spoke through my phone. I put him on speaker so I could finish curling my hair.

"You gonna have to wait like ten minutes." I said.

"Man what the fuck? Why?" He smacked his lips and I continued to wrap my hair around the curling wand.

"I'm still getting ready"

"I told you when I was coming to pick you up, clown."

"You should know that you gotta add an extra hour to that. Perfection takes time." I scoffed.

" If that's the case, then yo ugly ass ain't never leavin' the house."

"Bye." I hung up and applied gloss to my lips.

I decided to go for something simple today. I was sporting a cropped burgundy sweater along with distressed denim jeans and burgundy chunky heel booties. I threw silver hoops in my ear and got ready to go downstairs.

A rapid knocking sounded on my door and I rolled my eyes. I swear he act like it's life or death.

"I told your ass-"

"Addie, it's me." Irene voice sounded through the door, and it was thick with tears.

I damn there tore the door off its hinges answering it.

"What happened?"

She threw herself into my arms and I immediately thought of Reggie. I leaned back to get a better look and almost had a heart attack.

Her left eye was swollen and turning purple.

"What the fuck happened Irene?" I was grinding my teeth so hard I thought they might disintegrate.

"Reggie h-he got mad." She sniffled.

"Why?" I said, trying to remain calm.

"I caught him cheating-"

"So he fucking hit you!?" Any self control I had before was now completely diminished.

"Stay here, is he still at the house?" I had my hand on the doorknob.

"Yes, but please don't-"

"For the love of god and all that is holy, leave his bitch ass Irene! This shit ain't no one time thing, he'll do it again cause he thinks he can! Cause you lettin' him!" I turned her face to mine and almost burst into tears myself.

Irene wasn't just my best friend, she was my sister and it pained me to see her being so hurt and disrespected.

"It's more complex than that." She said lowly.

"Explain to me when the shit becomes rocket science?" I snapped.

When she didn't answer, I started to take my shoes off. "I'm staying here tonight. Let me just let Khyree know-"

"No. And I'm serious, I will physically drag your ass downstairs if I have to. You need to go out and have a good time Adrienne, I'll deal with this shit on my own."