Nineteen

The last words heard before we walked out of the building. Words that sat with me as I thought about the child that I also held in my stomach. As soon as we got into the car August began to let his anger out, screaming and punching the steering wheel. All the while I sat next to him just thinking about the words Lalia had said and how the last year of our lives had been a lie. Thinking about how life would've been had she never been around. Thinking about how she was able to lie about a DNA test, thinking about if she was pregnant that the two of our children could possibly share a birthday. Thinking about how August lied to me about his infidelity.

" That bitch ruined my fucking life man!" He spat in anger, snapping me from my thoughts. At this point we had left the hospital and August was going way over the speed limit. He had been going on and on for minutes now but I paid no attention to him too caught up in my own thoughts. " That crazy ass bitch-"

"What did she mean when she said this one is?" I cut his rant short with my question, the question that I had been dying to ask. I had kept the question bottled until we reached our destination, not wanting to cause an accident with the argument that I knew was about to begin. 

"Man that bitch is clearly crazy I don;t know why you was even listening to her. She just-

"August is she pregnant? " I asked as he brought the car to a stop in front of my apartment building, making sure that my question was more forward this time. "Is she pregnant?'" I spoke up once more, wanting to make sure that he heard the serious tone in my voice. 

"Man A-"

"Is she fucking pregnant August!" This time I shouted it, making sure that I meant business. August knew how to try to flip things around and he knew how to make me let things go so I had to make sure that he knew I was serious. That he knew how important this was to me. 

The way he looked at me alone gave me his answers. With eyes full of anger and pain and must of all guilt, I knew exactly what was about to come out of his mouth. Before he could even get the words out I felt the tears forming and my throat closing as a result of the fury I was feeling. 

"Yes." He stated defeated. "But I-" There was no need for him to finish his sentence. Nothing he could say could replace the feelings of pure hatred I felt in that moment. There was not an excuse in this world that could justify what he did. It took everything in me to hold back the tears, to regain my composure and speak to him in a calm voice.  "You lied to me August."

"I did't lie to you A."

"You did lie to me. You looked me in my damn eyes and told me that you weren't fucking that bitch. Lied to me to my face and now that bitch is pregnant."While my anger was on 100 each word that came out was monotone. I did not raise my voice, did not show one bit of emotion, because while I was hurting inside I knew that showing him that would only give him the upper hand. Knowing how distraught I was would only feed into how he plays with my emotions. I also knew that the yelling and screaming was not good for the little one growing inside.

" A I-"

"Don't A me, August fuck you. I've done nothing but be good to you-"

"Good to me? You were out here fucking with Trey the whole time we were together!" There he went, lying again, trying to make me feel bad when in reality nothing I did with Trey compared to anything that August had done, didn't even come remotely close to it. 

"You know what August-" I stopped myself as I reached into my purse to pull out my secret. The secret that I could keep no longer. The one thing that I knew would leave August feeling guilty. Out of my purse emerged a small black and white photo with a image that the doctor described to me as being "The size of an avocado." I passed him the photo and his face flushed, his anger replaced with a look of confusion.