The Darkest Relations

It took all of 15 minutes to find out where August  lived. A simple name search and not only did his address pop up but so did a image of the luxurious mansion that he now occupied. A parallel opposite from the one bedroom apartment he used to record in all those years ago, a whole lifetime ago. As the taxi dropped me off at my destination my palms began to sweat and it became increasingly difficult to catch my breath. I questioned myself, was this the right decision? Should I be here? Is this a huge mistake? Is it too late to turn back?

It was.

  The car came to a complete stop in front of an extravagant home before I could gather up the rest of my thoughts. In the blink of the eye I was out of the car and standing on the front step. The place was magnificent. Yes, I had viewed a few images online but the real deal was nothing compared to those. Large glass windows all around, a garden that looked like it deserved an award, a huge pool that could host the whole neighborhood, and 5 exotic cars lined up in the driveway. A part of me became discouraged, there's no way this could be the house, 1689 the number piece of paper I had printed out and the number plastered across the top of the door matched perfectly. "There's no way August could afford this" I muttered to myself. With one last deep breath I swallowed my fears and knocked, so softly at first that even I could not hear it, nevertheless I still let some time pass waiting for someone to respond. After some time I  knocked once more, this time loud enough for somebody to hear.

And someone did.

The large marble door opened to reveal a women around my age. Probably 5'5, had long dark brown hair, with deep brown eyes to match, and a body of a goddess. She was gorgeous. "Hello." The mystery women greeted, clearly confused as to why this stranger was on her doorstep staring her down. It took a few seconds for me to gather my words making her say something once again, "Can I help you?"

"Um yes," I began to respond" I'm actually looking for August, August Stevenson but it seems I have the wrong house I'm sorry-" I begin to walk away from the house feeling like an idiot when the women stops me.

"Who are you?" She asks, her question reassures me that August is indeed a resident here and that I am indeed not a complete idiot. "Are you another crazed fan? I don't know how you guys keep getting our address. I'm calling the cops!" she called out, assuring me that this was not uncommon for her and that I was not the first stranger to pop up at their doorsteps seeking August. 

"No. No, please don't call the cops. I'm here for August. I'm Adira Stevenson." As soon as I told her my name a switch flipped. Her aggressive demeanor quickly shifted to one of confusion with a pinch of amazement. 

"Augustttttttt ! Someone's here for you." She yells into the home before turning my way and replying with a fake smile, "one second." Not so secretly she looks me up and down, as if she's surprised to see me, like how you look at a high school classmate you haven't seen in a few years. However, we were not high school classmates and I never met the girl before.

"Who is it?" The familiar voice that I haven't heard in years sent butterflies to my stomach, I was nervous. Considering that I have known August since I was a little girl it's a strange feeling, I never felt nervous around August before. For a moment I thought about running down the steps, running back to where I had came from, far far away from this strange world. 

But once again it was too late.

 As August appeared in the doorway he gave the mystery women a kiss on the cheek. She responded with yet another fake smile, behind this one was a lot of fear, like she knew something bad was going to happen. At this point it felt like everything was beginning to move in slow motion, August's eyes shifted over to where I was and just like that all the color flushed from his body, like he seen a ghost. Well, in a way he had. It took a couple seconds for August to fully comprehend who stood in front of him. " A- Adira?" He stated questionably. It was clear that he was shocked at my presence. I was shocked at his too. Since I had last seen him he had changed. The August  I knew was a frigid twenty year old that couldn't have weighed more then 120 pounds and had short curly hair that I'd attempt to braid for hours. This August looked matured, confident, muscular, had a short low cut and was all around more attractive then  the one that I remembered. I was in awe. So in awe that I could not get my words out, so I offered a nod as my response. "Come in" he gestured , I did, a glimpse of the mystery women showed a face of envy. She was clearly not excited about my surprise visit which insured me that she indeed knew who I was and was not a fan.The inside of the home was even more lavish than the outside. Everything looked like it had came out of one of those upscale home magazines. Tall ceilings, a magnificent chandelier in the kitchen, all the furniture was white, the type of white that looks like it's never been touched before, like it's just for show. Like you were not allowed to sit on it or touch it, you were only allowed to admire it from a distance. We head to what I assume to be the living room, a huge white sectional and 72' flat screen and a white rug is all that occupies the room yet it looks so elegant. We took seats, across from each other, just taking one another in. Both still shocked that we're here, in front of each other, that this is truly happening. We were both too scared to say anything. Instead we just stared at one another for what seemed like hours. August was the first to break the tension. 

"So do you want something to drink or eat or anything?"  he asked. "No thank you." I replied, with the same timid voice I had all those years ago when we first met. 

"So, when did you wake up?" 

"About a month ago. I wanted to come sooner but I was scared. I found you on google. I thought I had the wrong place for a while."

"A month ago?" He said with a hint of shock and disgust. "That's a long time."

"I know. It took a month to build up the confidence to  come. Five years is a long time August. A lot has changed." I made a point to gesture to all the fancy items in the living room.

"I'm still the same August, A. I missed-" I cut him off before he was able to finish his sentence.

"I came here because I wanted to know what happened to me. I want you to start from the beginning, the day me meet back up, I want to know everything. I want the truth August and you're the only one who can provide me with that."