Six

6

The next few weeks flew bye as Lalia's due date approached. Each day that grew closer my anxiety increased, each day we grew closer and closer to knowing rather or not she would be with us for the next eighteen years or not. While this was the main thing on my mind I tried my best to hide that from August. Just enjoying his company. Her daily visit had ceased as her due date approached which made things much easier. While the two of us were not together we had grown from friends to at least working towards something more. Still unsure of the future and if he was a father or not so I chose not to push the issue on of what we were and just went with the flow.

  "August hurry up my tummy's growlin!" I yelled into his kitchen. He had promised to make me a home cooked meal weeks ago and I had finally took him up on his offer. If I would have known that it would take this long I would have had him order take out. "This food better be the best I ever had, It's been like 5 hours now."

"It only been 1. Calm down girl. Perfection takes time ma. You know you gotta put the spices in it, make it with love. Put ya foot in it, ya know?"

"August I swear to god if you put ya nasty ass toes in my food I'm never talking to you again."

He smacked his lips. "Ain't ya mom or grandma ever tell you that food is the best when you stick ya foot in it? How you live down south n not know about shit like this? This supposed to be ya job anyways." He explained as he came into the room with two filled to the brim plates containing bacon, eggs, pancakes, and sausage. "Shutup and give me the fucking plate." I commanded reaching for my plate, only making him snatch it out of my reach. "Say the magic words." "Can you give me my fucking plate," He gave me a stale look. "Please." I fake smiled, snatching the plate from his hand. I took a bite of everything, sampling each item to see if the wait was worth it. It was,  each bite felt like I had taken a piece of heaven and stuffed it in my mouth.

"Is it good?" August, who had been staring intently at me as I ate, asked.

"Mhmm." I mumbled through a mouth full of food.

"Clearly. You eatin like you ain't never ate before."

"Shutup." I pushed him gently, causing him to overreact, nearly falling onto the floor.

"You got something right there." He pointed to the side of my face where I'm guessing a piece of food was lingering.

"Where?" I asked, feeling onto my face to find it.

"There." He leaned in closer, taking my face in both of hands.

"August don't pull that corny ass line on me, if you wanna kiss me just do,"

"Maybe I ont wanna kiss, maybe you really got something on ya face." He leaned back, sticking out his hand to show me the piece of egg that was on my face. I felt my cheeks instantly grown red from embarrassment."But we can still kiss if you want." He leaned back in with his lips puckered. 

"Naw I'm cool." I explained. He acted as though he didn't hear me, placing a quick soft kiss on my cheek anyways before returning his attention to the tv as though nothing happened when it was over.

"Can you take me home now?" I asked once I had finished the last of the meal.

"You just gonna eat my food then bounce? You foul as fuck."

"You do it to me all the time, consider us even." I stated, referring to all the times he ate my food then left me hanging. Reluctantly he got up and drove me to my house. The ride to my place was quiet, not an awkward silent though, more like a peaceful silence. Where we just sat in the car with big ass smiles for no reason. It wasn't until pulled up to my house that the silence was broke.