Lewis

Lewis

“Hey you.” Karla said, flouncing over to him with her arms wide, expecting a hug. Lewis smirked and pulled her close and whispered to her,

“Good morning, Gorgeous.” Karla pulled him into a tight hug and then let him go.

“How have you been, I haven’t heard from you all week.” She smiled warmly at him, her blue eyes glistening in the early morning sun. Lewis scratched the back of his hair nervously and sighed,

“I’m sorry, I just needed some time, you know, to clear my head.” She nodded slightly and grabbed his hands,

“I totally understand, you needed time to process. It’s a good thing, to clear your head, how’s your mum doing?” Lewis gulped.

“Better, but she isn’t anywhere near recovery just yet. Doctors want her to stay in hospital for another week before she can even think of going home again.” He glanced down; she was playing with his fingers, entwining hers with his in a repeated motion. He felt a smile dancing on his lips and he looked up into her big blue eyes. Her eyes seemed to smile.

“Come on then, let’s get to class.” She said, changing the subject quickly and tugging him towards the corridor. He scanned the quad and caught sight of Nate, and, Hayley? Lewis couldn’t believe his eyes as he watched Nate lean down and kiss Hayley on the forehead. Anger was bubbling inside of him.

So much of a best friend. He thought to himself. He shook his head, trying to forget about what he had just seen and slung his arm over Karla’s shoulder. Smiling down at her he tried to hide his frustration.

History class first period with her. Lewis groaned to himself. Mr Austin had a knack of knowing everybody’s business. He knew that he would try and poke in on his break up with Hayley and try and mess up something. He thought right. Partners for a project. Lewis tried his best not to look over at Hayley; he could feel her eyes burning holes into him. He so badly wanted to speak to her, to know what was going on, what he didn’t want to admit to himself was that he really did still care about her. He needed to get over her but he just couldn’t. Karla was an amazing girl, or so he had recently found out and he really didn’t want to hurt her. He heard Hayley mutter to herself, he just knew she had said something about him. He glanced up and stared at her, he could feel himself frowning at her. She glared straight back at him. He instantly regretted looking at her; he could feel all of his feelings flooding back over him.

“Your project is due on Thursday morning.” Mr Austin continued, even though Lewis hadn’t even been listening to him. Thursday?! 

Lewis knew that he had to eventually say something to Hayley; he would need to talk to her if he wanted to actually have a partner for the project. He saw his chance as the bell rang; he hung back, waiting for Hayley. He grabbed her arm to get her attention but as her eyes met his, he didn’t feel the same sort of caring he had just a few minutes ago, instead he felt angry.

Without thinking he opened his mouth and words just seemed to run out of it like a running tap.

“Look, I know you hate this just as much as I do, so let’s just clear the air, one, Karla and I are sort of dating and two, let’s get this project over and done with so we can get on with our lives.” Maybe he wanted a reaction from her, jealousy maybe? Hayley ripped her arm out of his hand and hissed at him, 

“One, I don’t need to know whether you and Karla are dating or not and two, I couldn’t be happier to get this over with. Be at my house after school today, we can get started, the sooner the better.” Hm, she really doesn’t care anymore. He thought to himself.

“Fine.” Lewis said, gritting his teeth. Hayley rolled her eyes and sauntered off. Lewis sighed loudly which seemed to catch Mr Austin’s attention. Mr Austin smirked to himself. Asshole.

At lunch, Karla came and grabbed Lewis and dragged him to her posse’s hangout area. Lewis felt completely out of place. He missed Nate. But at the same time he was angry with him, he had stolen Hayley away from him, maybe it was his plan the whole time. Lewis’ anger was growing more and more as he thought about it. Karla and her friends chatted about odd topics; their favourite boy band, make up, clothing stores. Lewis was completely out of it. Karla grabbed his hand and smiled at him reassuringly.

He needed Nate back.