Lewis

Lewis

Hayley was walking towards the school; he was only a few steps behind her. He picked up the pace and grabbed her waist, lifting her in the air. She giggled like she did when she was a child. Lewis leaned over and kissed her softly on the cheek. As he put Hayley down he grabbed her hand and linked his fingers in between hers. He gently brushed his thumb over her delicate skin. She tightened her grip. Hayley was staring at Karla, the biggest snob in school. Her face was plastered with make-up, as usual and had her nose high in the air. Bitch. He wandered what Hayley could be thinking.

“Looks like you got some new friends.” Lewis teased as he gestured towards Karla and her posse, flipping their hair and flouncing past. Hayley just smiled silently. Something was bothering her. Lewis turned towards her and put his hands on her shoulders reassuring her that they were going to be fine; no-one would get between them. He linked his pinky with hers and squeezed,

“Pinky-Promise, remember?” He said, grinning at her.

“Pinky-Promise.” She replied quietly. He softly planted a kiss on her forehead and said,

“There's a reason I'm with you and not with them.”

He needed to see her again.

“Maybe tonight?” Nate said in their free period. Nate had only ever had one girlfriend, Karla. After that he gave up on dating. Must have really been bad, thought Lewis, but nevertheless he always managed to give pretty adequate advice.

“What? Like go and visit her?” Lewis asked.

“Yeah, do the whole, umm Romeo and Juliet thing.” Said Nate.

“What are you on about?” asked Lewis, completely confused.

“Okay, here’s the plan…” Nate and Lewis sat though break and afternoon registration planning Lewis’ romantic gesture. It was pretty simple, and totally cliché but he could pull it off. Finally the term had ended. Bring on the holidays.

It was just after midnight and it was freezing. Lewis tucked his hands into the pockets of his hoodie and trudged along the sidewalk. He stood right outside her house, just below her patio. He picked up a few white pebbles on the way to her house from under the bridge. As he threw the first pebble, it made a soft clink. He tossed another, a little harder this time. A loud knock echoed off her balcony window. Lewis ducked down, in case he got spotted. He heard the doors squeak open. It was definitely Hayley’s room, or so he hoped.

“Hello?” Hayley whispered into the darkness. A puff of vapour clouds spilled out of her mouth as she spoke. He didn’t move, he couldn’t be sure if it was Hayley or Mrs Bennett.

“Hello?!” She whispered a little louder this time. She stood on her toes and peered over the edge, trying to focus in the gloom of the night. Lewis spotted her beautiful face.

“Did I wake you up?” His voice cracked.

“Lewis!” A smile danced on his mouth.

“Oh, no I, I was awake.” She stuttered.

“Oh good.” He licked his lips, rubbed his hands together and climbed up the tree nearest the balcony. The rustle of leaves and a soft thud broke the silence. Lewis pulled Hayley into his arms. He instantly felt warm. She held onto him, wrapping her arms inside of his hoodie. Her arms cold against his skin, giving him goose bumps. Lewis kissed her on her forehead and played with a few strands of her hair, twisting it around his fingers.

“What are you doing here?” Hayley mumbled.

“I needed to make sure you were okay, I know that you didn't have such a great day at school so I wanted to clarify if we,” he paused, “are we okay, Hayz?” She squeezed him tighter and nodded. He exhaled loudly; her reaction was just what he needed to hear. His chest heaved as he did so.

“Thank God…” he mumbled as she cupped her hand over his mouth quickly.

“Shhh, you are going to wake up my parents.” Hayley smiled a weak smile at him. He looked at her; she looked super cute in her nightgown and pj’s.

“It’s freezing out here, come inside.” She whispered as she grabbed his hand and pulled him into her room before he could object. Hayley yawned and sat on her bed, patting the spot next to her, indicating for him to sit there. Lewis sat down cautiously and took her hands,

“You look exhausted, and you need to sleep. I need to go.” He started to get up; she tugged him back, quite forcefully too.

“Please don't go, I won't be able to sleep if you leave.” Lewis looked at her, smiled shyly and then leaned in to kiss her. She gave him a peck, leaving him wanting to kiss her again and then lay back onto her pillows. He leaned over her, resting his hands on the pillows and brushed her hair off her face, smoothed his thumb over her bottom lip and then kissed her again. She pulled him down, closer. He felt his heart thump against his ribcage. He stopped just centimetres from her, but carried on kissing her. She pulled him down; he carefully leaned above her, trying not to hurt her.

“I can't stay. What if we get caught?” Lewis mumbled between kisses.

“Please don't leave me, please.” She begged him. He sat up next to her and stared out the door.

She needs you Lewis, he told himself. He turned his torso, looking at her with yearning eyes.

“Okay,” he said with a sigh, giving in to her pleading, “where do I sleep?” She lifted her bed covers and cocked her head to one side, a smile danced on her lips.

“Over here silly, please keep me warm.” He raised an eyebrow at her,

“Hayz…” he began.

“I promise it’s just to sleep, we won't do anything illegal.” She chuckled silently and shook her head. Lewis smiled at her guiltily and turned to lie facing her. She breathed in deeply as she wrapped her arms around him; she was cold against his skin. Entangling herself with him, her eyelids fluttered shut. Lewis kissed her forehead gently. He held her close and soon dozed off into a sweet slumber.

Once Jayson finally broke up with Hayley, Lewis couldn’t help but feel totally relieved but at the same time sympathetic. Hayley was heartbroken. Lewis spent every afternoon walking Hayley home and sometimes, if she was in a good enough mood, he was invited to stay for dinner. Lewis had always enjoyed the company of Mr and Mrs Bennett. They were both hard workers. Mrs Bennett was a social worker and Mr Bennett was a lawyer. They both took pride in what they did and adored their only child. Hayley was spoiled rotten. Lewis had the privilege of joining them for dinner nearly every second night. He would even help out with the cooking. Mrs Bennett always made a side comment to Hayley at the dinner table,

“Lewis is such a pleasant boy, Hayley. You should stick with him. He’s a good influence on you.” Hayley would constantly look across the table and her lips would curl upwards into the most radiant smile. Lewis could feel his cheeks blazing red. For dessert Mrs Bennett would make hot pancakes with chocolate sauce.

“My Hayley’s favourite.” She whispered to Lewis and winked. He would remember that, one day he would make her pancakes and chocolate sauce.