Hayley

Hayley

The sun dipped into the ocean. The sky looked as if it had been painted. The colours blended perfectly. Nate’s strong arm held her close to him. She felt so guilty. What am I doing? What was I possibly thinking, coming out here with Nate, he’s Lewis’ BEST friend for God’s sake. She thought to herself.

“Ready to go? It’s getting kind of chilly out here. Are you cold?” Nate’s voice snapped her out of thought.

“Huh? Oh yes, I’m ready to go.”

“You cold?” he took off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. It was so warm. Just then she realised how cold she really was. Her wet hair was slowly drying into loose curls. Nate stood up, then offered her a hand to get her up. She pulled herself up and with that same arm he hung it loosely over her shoulders and walked her back to the bike. Nate helped her put her helmet on and then hopped onto the bike. She, once again, held tightly onto his waist and they set off, leaving their footprints in the soft sand on the beach.

Hayley handed Nate his helmet and headed up the pathway to her house, he followed closely behind her. She turned as she reached the front door and smiled awkwardly at him. His eyes lit up as if he had just heard excellent news.

“Hayley, thank you so much for coming with me today, I’m so glad I could finally get that off my chest, you have no idea how long I have been dying to tell you.” Hayley felt warm inside.

“Thank you for inviting me.” Nate leaned down and kissed her on the forehead.

“I had a great time.”

“Me too.” Hayley replied.

“See you soon?” Hayley smiled and nodded at him.

Nate grinned and waved goodbye, heading back to his bike. Hayley opened the front door and closed it, leaning against it. She looked down at the floor and then noticed she was still wearing his jacket. She quickly opened the door to check if he was still there. She nearly fell over backwards as she realised he was right outside the door. She stumbled to her feet again. Nate smiled warmly at her.

“You, you forgot your jacket.” She panted while she shrugged it off.

“You know what? You should keep it. It looks better on you anyway.” He gave her a cheeky grin.

“Thanks, why were you coming back; you know my reason, what’s yours?” Nate took Hayley’s hand and placed it on his chest, over his heart. His heartbeat drummed methodically under her palm.

|

“You see what you’re doing to me?” He whispered, leaning his forehead on hers. Hayley stood on her toes and kissed his lips softly. He licked his lips and smiled.

“I’m happy now. Bye Hayley.” He took her hand in his and squeezed it gently before turning out the door. Hayley stood at the door. Grinning like an idiot, her cheeks actually hurt.

Laying in bed Hayley tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable. Nothing was working. She felt the cool of the pillow against her face. Her eyelids felt like lead and yet she just couldn’t get to sleep. Groaning she kicked off her sheet and sat up in her bed. Hayley wiped her sore eyes and rubbed her temples, massaging away a faint headache. She flopped back onto the pillows and tugged her sheet over her face, huffing in frustration. Slowly and ever so cautiously her eyes closed and she slipped into a deep and much needed sleep.

Black water swirled around their legs, clawing at them and pulling them over. As her head resurfaced she couldn’t find him, he had disappeared into the murky water. She dived back in, feeling desperately around for a sign he was down there, relying on her sense of touch. She couldn’t open her eyes. The water burned into them, like an acid. She came up for air and swallowed in large gulps of the pure air around her.

“Lewis!” she wailed. Where was he? She looked around. It was blurry; the water had obscured her vision completely. Far down the river she saw it. A pale, grey-looking object. It was floating above the surface, moving quickly along with the strong current. His face was almost unrecognisable. “Lewis.” She whispered. An overwhelming feeling drowned in her chest, making it heavy. Guilt. Lewis had drowned in the dark and vicious water and she was to blame, she just knew it. Her feet took off from underneath her; running faster than she ever thought was possible but she willed herself to move faster and faster. The cold, slimy water numbed her legs to the point where she couldn’t feel them any longer. As she neared his unconscious body her breath caught in her lungs. She stared down at him, lying lifeless in the rapid water.

“No.” She wailed, dropping to her knees, not caring if she got wet. She hovered over him, touching his pale face with her shaking hand. “Lewis, I’m so sorry.” She whispered to him softly. She pulled him into her lap and stroked her fingers through his tangled and sopping hair. Her hand rested on his chest. She couldn’t feel his heartbeat. No drumming under her palm. She felt herself burrowing into a void of emptiness.

“No!” Hayley screamed as she opened her eyes and sat up in bed, completely breathless. Her cheeks were wet with tears. Mrs Bennett hurried into her room and turned on the lamp next to her bed.

“Hun, what is going on?” her worried eyes searched Hayley’s face.

“I need to see a shrink.”

***

“Hayley, I am your counsellor, Dr. Roberts.” Her hand stretched out to shake Hayley’s hand. Hayley glanced at her hand nervously and took it in her own. Dr. Roberts’ grip was strong and unbreakable. Hayley winced as Dr. Roberts squeezed her hand in a vice-like grip.

“Please, take a seat.” She gestured towards the couch nearest the wall.

Hayley nodded shyly and plonked herself down on the seat. She bit on the end of her thumb. She felt so nervous. Dr. Roberts peered at her over her red framed glasses at the end of her nose and smiled warmly at her. Her hazel eyes were surrounded by slight wrinkles forming from age. Her dark eyebrows knitted together as she frowned suddenly. Hayley felt her insides twisting into knots.

“What seems to be the problem?” She asked, looking extremely serious. Hayley took a deep breath in and started to explain her dream to Dr. Roberts. She sat and listened intensively and nodded, scrawling down notes on a notepad placed on her lap. Hayley felt somewhat insecure about her stupid dream but all she needed was some sort of guidance to what it meant.

“So, this, Lewis you say, he is your ex-boyfriend?”  Hayley nodded and bit down on her lip. Dr. Roberts glanced down at her notepad and then back at Hayley. Her expression, unreadable.

“And how long have you been having these dreams?” She questioned. Hayley frowned and cast her eyes to the side, thinking back to when she had first had the dream. Her heart felt heavy and the pace slowed.

“About two months ago.” She breathed. Two months, with Lewis. She didn’t even realise it had been that long. Dr. Roberts leaned forward and placed her hand over Hayley’s. Hayley felt extremely uncomfortable. Dr. Roberts looked at her pitifully.

“It seems that I need to get back to you on this, My Dear.”