Chapter One

»Lindy's POV«

~~7 years ago (13 Years Old)~~

I ran out of the school with tears streaming down my face. I hate my life. I feel betrayed. Let me tell you what happened that brought me here: a jerk at school whose name was Drew, picked on me because I only had one parent. Everyone thinks of me differently because of my parents' divorce. I get beaten by my father who blames me for my mother's sudden decision to leave us. He said I was worthless and all I did was bring misery to anyone near me.

I walked quickly down the road to my house. If I had any luck today, my father would be passed out on the couch. I turned a corner too soon and bumped into a fire hydrant roughly. I winced as the pain shot through my leg. I looked down at it, I had about five bruises. I have more scars than bruises. I kept walking and saw a U-Haul truck by a house next to mine.

Great, new neighbors. Just more people to hate me. I thought to myself. I tried walking by the house without being noticed, but I failed. "Hey, you!" the boy through a piece of paper at me. He ran towards me. "I'm Harry." the boy held out his hand. "I'm Lindy." I shook it. "I know we just met, but I have to tell you this- you are beautiful. You're very pretty. I hope you know that." I started to blush. "Thanks." I smiled to myself. "My mum says one compliment could save a life." Harry pointed to a woman who was holding a box by the door.

"So do you live near here?" He asked me. "Yeah, I'm your neighbor." I gestured at my house.  "That's so cool! I hope we can be great friends!" he cheered, and I spotted a dimple on his cheek. "That would be a miracle." I murmured under my breath. "What was that?" he asked looking at me with confusion. "Um...I'll be right back. I just need to drop off my things." I walked towards my house, feeling like a fool. This kid wasn't going to like me. Would he? Was he going to be like everyone esle?

I tossed my backpack at the porch steps and walked with a skip in my step towards the curly kid's house. When he saw me, he hopped up from his seat on the U-Haul truck. "Do you like, need any help unpacking things?" I looked at all of the beige boxes, some smaller than others. "You don't mind?" Harry's mum walked up behind him. "Oh no, I don't mind..." I didn't know how to adress her. "You can call me Anne, or Ms.Styles if you want." she smiled and hugged me. She was very friendly-more friendly than my mum ever could be. "Okay, I don't mind Ms.Styles, I would love to help." I said smiling, it felt good to smile again. "Thank you, love." Ms.Styles went into the U-Haul truck and grabbed a slighlty large box.

"Here Harry," she said pushing towards him. I stood next to him, and I noticed how tall I was. He was probably 5' 7"- while I was 5' 1". I felt fairly small compared to him. He had chocolate brown hair, which was extremely curly. He had green eyes anyone could get lost in for hours. As my grandmother would call most guys, "He is quite the looker." Ms.Styles grabbed a smaller box. "Here you are...I'm sorry sweetie, I didn't get your name." "Lindy." I smiled at her. "That's a lovely name." she pushed the box towards me, then hopped out of the truck. We walked up to the house and Ms.Styles opened the door and led me to a slightly large room. It was a bedroom. The bed and dresser and all of the furniture was in it already, it just needed the decor in the box. The walls were painted a deep blue, and on one of the walls there was a mural of the sea. 

"Wow." I said looking at the mural. "Believe it or not, the house came like this." Ms.Styles said as she set down a box. I set mine on the bed. "Well that was the last of the boxes. What now mum?" Harry came in from the hallway. "Well do you two want to do something? We could go out to eat." She said as we sat down on the couch.  "Can we go to that arcade pizza place?" Harry suddenly asked, his green eyes lit up also.

"Sure we can. Lindy, would your parents mind?" It stung a little when she said parents, not parent. "Yeah, I'm sure my dad won't mind." I ignored my pain and smiled instead. "Alright, then let's go." we three got up and walked towards their red car.

The car ride was fun. Harry and I sang a few songs, and he was great. My favorite song came on- Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder, and I started to sing along. "You're a fantastic singer." Harry smiled his cheeky smile at me. "Thanks, you're great too." I commented. "Thank you. So you're a Stevie Wonder fan?" he asked. "Yeah, I listen to his songs a lot. Isn't She Lovely is my favorite song in the world. My mum used to tell me that my grandmother sang it to me everyday." The thought of my grandmother made me happy.

"I bet your parents are very nice." he said as we pulled up to The Pizza-Cade. "Well, not too much anymore. My parents are divorced. My mum went away, and my dad..." I trailed off. I sighed. "Oh. I'm sorry Lindy, I didn't mean to-" He started to apologize. "No, Harry, don't be sorry. You didn't know." we entered the building. "So, do you two kids want a large pizza? Or do you want salad?" Harry's mum asked. "I'm not picky. I'm like any normal girl, I'll eat anything really." Harry laughed, and I giggled.

Ms.Styles bought us a cheese pizza for us to share, and we got one hundred twenty tokens to use on the arcade. I had the most fun than I've ever had in the past three years. "I bet I can get more tickets than you at skiball!" Harry smirked at me as we walked towards the skiball section. "I don't know Styles, I think I'm pretty good." I said squatting down to put tokens in the slot. "Ready?" Harry asked. "Ready to kick your butt? Yeah, I am." I laughed as I grabbed my first ball.

Harry started to roll his, and he made one in the 1,000 slot in the middle. I tried rolling mine towards the smallest hole, which had 10,000 written on it. Finally, one made it in- which had me at 11,250 points and Harry at 3,275 points. I rolled my last ball, and again it made it into the small hole, giving me a total of 21,250 points. My area started beeping and blinking. At first I was worried that I broke the thing, but then the huge sign above us flashed the words "High Score-21,250" and tickets started to pour out of my machine. 5 tickets came out of Harry's. "Good Lord Lindy, I think you broke the machine!" He lightly kicked the machine. About ten seconds later, the machine stopped giving tickets. "Finally." I said as I ripped the tickets from the slot. "How many do you think this is?" I asked Harry, folding up the tickets. "I don't know, a million?" he shrugged.

Me and Harry turned our tickets in and it turns out, I had about 1,000 tickets. Harry had 500. In the end we both combined our tickets and turned them in for a huge frog. "What shall we name our baby?" he joked holding the frog. "Um... How about Freddy?" that was the name of your dog, before he went missing in 5th grade.

When I got home it was about 10:00 PM. Shit. Dad's gonna be so mad at me. I entered the house as quietly as I could, holding Freddy close to me. I didn't know what to expect tonight...