Chapter 37 - The Wedding Part 1.

Mariam's POV:

A small smiled instantly appeared on Daniel's rosy lips as he tightly squeezed my hand as we made our way slowly down the spiral case carefully. My family all stood at the bottom of the stairs grinning playfully at us and applauding loudly while a light beat that I wasn't familiar with played lightly in the background.

Amira and Maya stood together whispering about something while some distant cousins and other close family members stood at the bottom of the staircase laughing cheerfully and kids ran around the room causing chaos. My eyes scanned the room as I looked for my father and finally landed on him standing at the edge of the room with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and his hands tucked away in the pockets of his suit with his grey hair streaked back stylishly. My heart ached as I longed to run towards him, hug him and promise not to leave him too. He had lost his wife and now both his daughters were married and I was scared that he would pretend to be brave and happy but was really covering the feeling of isolation and being alone.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" I asked Daniel worriedly.

"Who?" he whispered back quietly turning towards me with an anxious look in his eyes.

"My father Daniel," I replied tears filling my eyes for the second time that day "I don't want him to feel like he's alone now."

"He will be okay, I promise." he whispered assuringly "We'll always come and visit him."

"Yeah," I smiled "We will."

Daniel took my hand and walked me towards the sleek black limo that I was sharing with the rest of my family members. Amira was too busy fixing her hair and lipstick and didn't bother to help me get in the car whereas Maya almost instantly leaped out and came to my rescue after witnessing how much I was struggling with the heavy dress that I was seriously regreting buying.

"Need a hand?" she asked grinning playfully.

"Yeah," I laughed "this dress was such a mistake."

"Nah," she shook her head "You look beautiful."

I smiled at Maya warmly feeling grateful for her compliment and kind words.

"Maya, where's Jamal?" I asked in confusion "He was supposed to catch the limo with us to the venue."

She merely shook her head and shrugged her shoulders "I don't know. He's been acting really weird lately and sort of distant like he's keeping some kind of secret."

"That's weird," I mumbled "He's probably just stressed about his exams or something."

"Yeah, maybe." she nodded but she didn't seem convinced but our conversation was cut short by the driver who told us to all get ready to leave because we were due to arrive at the venue in less than fifteen minutes.

***

The tables and centrepieces were decorated with red and white roses and red and white table and chair covers while the four-tier cake sequinned with jewels and red roses remained poised beautifully at the corner of the room. My two bridesmaids Maya and Amira danced  together and laughed, swaying slowly to the music with their gorgeous floor-length maroon dresses with the red rose detail at the front and lacked up at the back giving the dress an even more chic and elegant finish.

It wasn't long before the party was in full swing as the guests danced around while Daniel and I sat at our table and took the opportunity to talk and appreciate that we finally made it this far. I was ecstatic that I was finally married to Daniel but that didn't change the fact that my mother was gone and was never going to experience this day with me or meet her grandchildren but I pushed the negative and dark thoughts to the back of my mind and tried to enjoy my day that was especially for me and thank Allah for all of the blessings that I was given in this life and accept that my mother was in a better place.