Chapter 36 - Before The Storm.

Hassan's POV:

My eyes instantly snapped open as I began rubbing my eye with my finger and took in my surroundings. A passed out and hungover Conrad lay on the sofa of the bleak room with one hand defensively rested on his stomach and the other clinging lightly on to a dripping glass of what I guessed was vodka due to it's clear colour. Jeremy also known as Doctor Reed was nowhere to be found and then suddenly emerged from the bathroom quickly slipping on his work clothes quietly -- in a desperate attempt not to awake Conrad James and remained oblivious to my amused, smirking expression.

"Where are you going?" I whispered.

"Shh!" he hissed angrily placing a finger on his lip and then gesturing towards Conrad with his piercing green eyes.

"Take a chill pill dude he's out like a light," I smirked " I doubt he'll be up for another four hours minimum."

"Actually," Doctor Reed interrupted glaring at me "He's got a pretty good tolerance to alcohol so I would say he'll be awake any minute."

"Shit," I muttered to myself "I better get a move on then too."

"Why?" Doctor Reed asked in a patronizing voice folding his arms "You have no job and certainly no friends." he added coldly.

"Ha-ha," I laughed back sarcastically "I see what this is about, you pretend to save lives and then dump bodies in the river and then I don't praise you for being heroic. So go ahead and sue me but that's not reason enough to hate me mate."

"Whatever," he shrugged "I couldn't care less what you think." the incredibly tall and blue-eyed male turned on his heel and made an exit out of the small loft without a second glance.

****

Unknown Character:

The cold wind slapped and pinched my pale skin but I remained oblivious. The truth was there was a deeper issue that plagued my life and that was the only reason that I was doing this. No-one understood why I would take part in such an immoral act. No-one understood, except Katie. Katie was my reason for living and I would do anything for her but no-one knew of her existence because I insisted on shielding her from the harsh realities of the world. I wanted her imagination to run free and not imagine the possibilties of what the future held if she crossed over to the after-life. The trees swiftly heaved and swayed from side to side as the Londoners rushed past clutching the hands of their children and briefcases on their way to school and work but for me the world remained still. The world seemed to come to a complete halt when I discovered that my daughter was suffering from a brain trauma and she had a slim to none chance of living another year. Whenever people asked me if I believed in God, I would merely laugh. God? If there was a God then why couldn't anyone explain to me why an innocent child with the kindest heart and brightest smile was being taken away from me? Why my daughter? Why me?

I have lost enough. I've lost my wife and If I lost my daughter too then I would have nothing left. The mere thought of her dying sent me into a state of manic depression. My thoughts continued to run freely but I realised that I had finally arrived at the entrance of the hospital. I rushed past towards the lift and pressed the fifteenth floor and avoided the gaze of a Muslim lady standing beside me who gave me a small smile. I gazed towards the floor and realised that my hands were trembling and I was nibbling on my lower lip nervously. Everyday, it was the same routine. I was playing this cruel game of whether she would live or not. Everyday was like the last day with my daughter, slowly ending and then starting all over again. It was like a cycle of grieving -- except it never ended.

I suddenly became aware of a clattering noise and shifted my gaze towards the woman who was standing beside me who fell to the ground in a desperate attempt at collecting all of her papers. I kneeled down and began helping her but her gaze remained fixed on her papers as she began to collect them one by one. I noticed her hospital I.D card that read "Doctor Samira Ahmed," in bold letters.