Chapter 29 - Murderer, Murderer, Murderer.

CHAPTER 29 - Murderer, Murderer, Murderer.

Mariam's POV:

It wasn't long before the media caught wind of the story of Hassan's arrest over Scarlett Hamilton's death. Her parents Jeff and Monica were leading a protest followed by a group of five hundred people for capital punishment to be legal and wanted him dead for killing their daughter. I was almost 100% positive that Hassan could never kill someone and that someone was setting him up. I would think of Conrad the man who shot me but he has an alibi as he has been out of the country for the past 2 weeks on a business trip to New York and so the police didn't even bother to take me seriously when I suggested that he should be put on the suspects list.

"That man shot my friend!" Maya yelled "He's capable of everything and he wants to wipe us all out."

I nodded in agreement with everything Maya had said.

"There's no proof he shot her." the police woman replied simply.

The outside of Hassan's house was smeared with red paint that read "Murderer." the town was chaotic and in a frenzy and everyone wanted a piece of Hassan Omar. I rested my head in my hands and couldn't help but feel guilty for what Hassan was going through. He was innocent and this just wasn't fair. We had to bail him out somehow.

"Young lady, Conrad James is a highly respected Politician. I highly doubt he spends his free time killing the daughter of his long time college friend." the police man replied simply with a quizzical expression and was looking at me like I was high on weed.I began to remember that Daniel had told me Scarlett's father Jeff and Conrad went to college together and were best friend for years. No-one would buy the story that he had killed his best friend's daughter. 

"One day you'll discover what he's really like." I replied back sharply "And when I'm already dead because he found me I hope you guys are happy with yourselves."

"Someone's a walking exaggeration." the police woman said to the police man as they walked out of my house and back to their cars.

I pretended to not hear despite wanting to erupt on them like a volcano for not even taking the time to consider what I was telling them. It's like Conrad had everyone wrapped up in his little spell and we were all going to die because of it. Daniel handed me a warm cup of hot chocolate as I rested my chin on my knees and looked up at the meaningful expression on his face and his pursed lips "What are you thinking, honey?" I asked.

"I'm just thinking about how much all of this is my fault. Hassan's arrest, you being stalked and this is all because of me." he sighed heavily and his eyes looked washed over with guilt.

"No!" I exclaimed "Danny, none of this is your fault. How were you supposed to know that the man who claimed to be your father since you were a child is a complete psychopath? It's not your fault at all." He smiled at me radiantly "You just called me Danny. You used to call me that before." and shot me an alluring smile "What would I do without you?" he asked.

"What you were doing before." I joked and he simply smiled "Come, let's go pray."

Hassan's POV:

"I don't know what you want me to say!" I exclaimed "I don't care what he does to me. I'm risking my life here. Conrad James is the one responsible for Scarlett Hamilton's murder."

One of the police man sneered at me while the other scoffed "You expect me to believe one of the country's most respected and high ranking politicians would kill the daughter of his long time college best friend?" he asked as though I was crazy. I sighed dramatically "You know what?" I challenged. "Just take me to a bloody cell because you're not going to bother believe me anyway."

I was so frustrated with this situation and being interviewed countless times in the same bleak and dreary room with the glass table and two wooden chairs. The tape recorder recorded me several times and I figured they were trying to catch me out in case my story changed each time. I left the part out where I helped Conrad James bury Scarlett Hamilton's body because that would most definitely land me a prison sentence for assisted murder.

"Direct us to the body and we will consider letting you go." the man said simply. He must think I'm stupid, I chuckled. I knew where it is but directing him there would mean he would then arrest me for basically confessing that I did it all by myself otherwise how else would I know where it was and he still didn't believe the Conrad story.

I gave the police man a menacing expression and glared "For the thousandth time I told you, I don't know, okay?" The police man looked equally as frustrated as he sat back down trying to look less intimidating and tried a different approach.

"Look son, the sooner you let me help then the sooner you can get out of here." I gazed back at him "And what? Tell you what you want to hear? I'm sorry but I'm not going to confess to something I haven't done."

"Well..." the police man clicked his tongue and peered at my expression as though trying to find an answer "It's not looking too good for you having your hand prints on a dead girl's hair." he stated harshly "So, don't say I didn't try to help you. Enjoy prison. Take him to his cell boys." he ordered the guards and I was lead away down a bleak corridor and into a cell. The guard shoved me into the room and I tripped over straight on to my face. I didn't have time to turn around before the gate closed and was locked. I listened to the sound of the footsteps of the guard walking into the distance and for the first time in my life -- I felt truly alone.