Chapter 25 - Dream A Little Dream Of Me.

Chapter 25 - Dream a little dream of me.

Hassan's POV:

I gasped as sweat beaded down my forehead and roared "Let me go! I'm sorry please!" and finally peeled my eyes open having realized it was only just a dream. I kept seeing a vision of a girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes trying to throw me off a cliff. Could it be the girl that I had buried the other day? 

No, It couldn't be could it? 

I rose from my spacious double bed and walked towards the mirror hanging on the wall of my bleak and dark room. The clock underneath the mirror confirmed it was 03:03AM. I studied my disturbed and haunted expression in the mirror and sighed a sigh of relief. It was only just a dream, I repeated. I still regretted that I carried out the job for Conrad. I was so stupid. Why did I listen to him? I felt disgusted with myself and what I had done and the lengths I had gone for money. I poured some water into a glass and sipped the water that instantly refreshed and soothed me. I realized that the fajr (morning) prayer was here and that my mother would be coming to my room to wake me up anytime soon. Minutes seem to have passed of me staring at my reflection in the mirror. What would my mother think? what would Mariam think? I turned into a guy that I never thought I'd be and saying I was disgusted with my very existence would be an understatement. I knew men like Conrad wouldn't let you off the hook that easily and before I know it, I'm going to have to be carrying out another task or 'job' for him as he describes it or he'll threaten to pin the murder of the girl on me. I ran my fingers through my brown hair and observed my dark under eye circles that hung loosely below my eyes due to my lack of sleep. 

"Hassan?" I could hear my mother's voice calling me from the ground floor.

"Yes, ma?" I replied in an agitated tone.

"Time for prayer darling. I'll be waiting for you downstairs."

I sighed loudly and got up from my bed walking towards the door staring once more at my woeful and sulky expression.

When did I turn into such a fraud?

Mariam's POV: 

I sat at the breakfast table on Saturday morning wearing a pink headscarf, blue full-length skirt and a purple cardigan paired with my black ankle boots. Jamal had actually took it upon himself to make breakfast for all of us today. The breakfast consisted of warm, buttery croissants, an egg omelette and steaming cups of creamy hot chocolate for myself, Amira, my mother and Jamal. We all sat together and simply smiled without talking but it wasn't awkward like it used to be. There was a faint knock at the door that broke our silence.

"I'll get it." I said in a blissful tone "You guys eat and relax." and planted a kiss on my mother's cheek before walking towards the door. I opened the door and was met with a girl's gazing and alluring expression. "Hi, can I help?" I asked.

"Oh, crap." she replied quickly "I forgot you didn't remember me. Let me introduce myself. I'm Maya." she held out her hand and I couldn't help but return a glaring fake smile.

"Ooh, Hassan's fiancee right?" 

"That's me." she said laughing a little too loudly. 

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" she asked already peering inside my house with a curious look on her face. Someone's a little nosy I thought as I studied the pouting expression on her face. She was pretty though.