Game Of Oblivion: Part 4

The duo soon found themselves walking up the stairs where they were just now. They needed to get back to the mansion because they were convinced that the only clue was inside the mansion. The area was clear. Steve looked back, ensuring that there was really nothing behind them before they moved on.

"The boy and the girl..." Claire whispered to herself, deciphering the riddle.

"My bet is it's connected to that music box we saw," Steve guessed. Claire looked unconviced as she continued to move on. "Look, we have to go back to that room," Steve persuaded, walking in front of her, facing her. Steve was about to walk into the mansion when Claire spoke.

"Steve..." she whispered. Steve turned back, looking at Claire. She was holding her gun, pointing at something. 

"What?" Steve, asked, annoyed. There was no time to waste now.

"You don't see them?!" Claire hissed this time.

As Steve looked up, he gasped when he saw the masses of bats gathered on top of him. The bats were faster than his reaction as the first thing it did was to fly down and meet the duo, the swarms of bats brushing past him. Somehow, Steve fell onto the ground clumsily, stunned that there were so many bats. Steve stood up, trying to focus at the masses of bats that were still flying towards him. Steve unleashed a few shots at it, killing a few bats while the rest brushed past Steve without bringing harm to him. The bats continued to screech in the sky, flying in masses so that they could outnumber their prey easily. Knowing that fighting an infinite number of bats was definitely not the wisest idea, the duo started to charge headfirst into the house.

"Claire? Claire!" Steve yelled, trying to get to her. She had difficulty getting rid of the bats that tried to suck her blood. No matter how Steve tried, it was impossible with all the swarms of bats going against Steve. It was as if he was going into the opposite direction of where was the current of a river was heading. "Right here! You wanna fight me?!" Steve taunted the bats. His reply was bats coming at him. Steve was able to intercept them, killing it.

"Get inside! Quick!" she ordered, running for the house together. The duo finally rushed in, slamming the door behind them. They were safe for now.

"What happened back there?" Steve asked, wondering why she did not move into the house earlier.

"I thought I heard a guy's voice," Claire replied. Steve surveyed the area for a moment, scanning for any mutants. Nothing.

"Let's get going," Steve continued. As Steve turned to face the staircase, he faced three zombies instead, moaning at them. Steve and Claire opened fire at them. It was as if a magician just sent them here. The duo were taken by surprise by they were able to kill the zombies before they could even touch them.

"They could be hiding anywhere in here..." Claire warned.

"You're right," Steve agreed. As soon as he spoke finish, something loud - like someone knocked on the door loudly - was heard on the second floor. Claire gasped.

"Give me a break," Claire sighed.

"You know... You're cute when you're scared," Steve commented. 

"Oh shut up," Claire retaliated. Steve was about to climb the stairs when a dark green object fell from the ceiling, nearly making Steve a pancake.

"Here too?!" Steve yelled, opening fire at the monster. It was dead soon when Steve shot it at its face.  Behind them were a mass of zombies as well.

"They're coming out of nowhere!" Claire yelled, opening fire at them. Another zombie tried to surprise them, coming out of the counter to grab them with its arms outstretched but it failed when the duo retreated towards the stairs. They ran up the stairs since they realised that they were about to waste time fighting them.