Chapter Twenty Seven part two- tattoo truth

Part Two

It was about half twelve in the night when I realised that I won’t be getting any sleep without answers.

Everyone was in bed after that big meal Darya prepared. I woke up Molly to eat with us but she threw her pillow at me; evidently too tired to care.

Christopher has been stiff with me ever since I left him with Greg and it was getting on my nerves. It was obvious that Greg said something to him from the way he’s been avoiding my eye.

I get out of the comfortable warm bed and because it was chilly and because I was determined as ever I quickly walked out the room and quietly opened the door to what I was sure was Christopher’s bedroom.

The soft glow coming from the moon illuminated Christopher’s form on the bed. From what I could see he was shirtless- the tattoo on show -and was lying on his back, his hair tousled.

The catch in my throat was apparently loud enough to make his eyes shift to me. It seems I wasn’t the only one who couldn’t sleep.

“I'm sorry I…” I stop, not knowing how to continue.

He stares at me for a second, a flash of nervousness going through his eyes before it’s covered and he smiles slightly. He scoots a little to the side and pats the space next to him.

I smile gratefully and quickly make my way to the bed, slipping under the covers. I shiver violently for a few seconds as my body became acclimated to the cool sheets on my body.

Christopher immediately wraps an arm around me and pulls my back into his chest.

“Better?” He chuckles into my neck and I shiver for a whole different reason. I lay still for a minutes relaxing into his embrace before I remember why I actually came here in the first place.

“You have to tell me about the tattoo Christopher.” I state firmly wanting him to realise I’m not playing around.

His arms stiffen around me before he blows out a rough breath, “It’s to symbolise we’ve chosen each other as life partners.”

“What?” I burst out and turn around in his arms to face him, wide eyed and heart pumping.

He winces and loosens his hold around me, shifting his eyes to the ceiling.

“It normally takes place between married couples; a conscious decision between two to show the world that they’re taken by each other.”

My breath catches as I hear the slight pride and happiness I hear in his voice. ‘Taken by each other’ is that what he said?

“As in forever?”

Christopher shrugs and looks at me thoughtfully, “What happened between us…” He trails off, “it hadn’t happened before to anyone. Since we’re not married nor are we in any sort of serious relationship Greg doesn’t know what it all really means.”

I voice the question running a marathon in my head, “And what do you think it all means?”

He takes a second as if weighing his answer before he turns fully towards me and brushes the back of his hand against my jaw.

A small quiver passes through my body. “I think that I love the tattoo on my body, it shows the world- or at least in our world- that I belong to you and no one else,” he brings my hand up and lays it on the tattoo and I feel the muscles clench under my fingers.

His eyes level with mine and I bite my lip from the emotions swimming in there.

“I think,” He continues, “that knowing you have the same tattoo on your body fills me with so much pride knowing that you should be mine.”