Twenty Five

Twenty Five

Present Day

Turns out I barely had enough time after I had bought Molly jeans and shirts that actually would fit her before we were injected with something that knocked us out.

We all came to an hour or two ago in this dingy warehouse with aching backs. To say Christopher was pissed was an understatement; he practically radiated heat due to his anger.

As soon as I felt his anger rising to the boiling point- don’t ask how I felt it, I just did like before- I followed my instinct and hugged him, strategically placing my head right on his chest.

Soon enough, his anger simmered down to just a tense jaw and he breathed in deeply, secretly smelling my hair.  I decided to ignore that and the fluttering in my chest and made my way to a half hysterical Molly. We don’t know where Mikyle is, Christopher had searched the place already looking for him.

So here we are, hours later with a sleeping Molly and a cagey Christopher. I suspect he’s angrier at himself than anyone else, he may not have said it but a few times he’s let his guard down so I’ve caught snippets of his thoughts.

‘Shouldn’t have let this happen to… too important… My entire fault, was too focused on the tatt-… where the hell is Mikyle? Damn she looks beautiful today!’ I heated up on that comment and decided to tune out before I heard other stray thoughts that I secretly wanted to hear but wasn’t ready to hear.

All four of us exited a store department, just having bought Mollys clothes. She changed into her new jeans and a cute yellow top with red polka dots and she just twirled, giving us a complete view when suddenly I experienced a sharp prick and then blackness.

We’re assuming it was an injection filled with a tranquilizer since we were knocked out pretty quickly. Molly informed us that the only thing she remembered was that we were standing and then we weren’t.

Okay then, I think as I watch Christopher walk past me for the hundredth time, enough is enough. I gently place Molly next to me and while she moves around a little, I can tell she’s still asleep. I jump up and stalk to Christopher who was currently muttering to himself.

Whack!

I hit him upside the head, effectively cutting of his pacing and his muttering.

“What was that for?”

“You’re making me nervous that’s why!” I blow out a frustrated breath as he smiles at me. “This is not the time to be cute Christopher; we need to get out of here! We need to get to your friend, fix whatever is wrong with my powers and bring Kradon down okay?”

I blink back the hopeless tears, knowing they won’t help the situation. And what a hopeless situation this was!

If we ever get out of this place we’d have to leave Molly here and leave this place like yesterday, we’d have to rush over to his friend’s house, sort out my magic, figure out how I feel for Christopher and not to mention the whole leader of the Kaarai thing and damn it we don’t even know where Mikyle is or who took us!

Christopher, who watched my mental freak out in silence, pulled me in a fierce hug. “I'm sorry; I shouldn’t have let this happen…”

“It’s not your fault, you didn’t expect something like that, we’ve been careful even with the delays.” I try to placate him.

I feel him shake his head, his hands lowered to grip my waist and he pulled back. I lift my face in confusion, wondering why he looked so pissed.

“It is,” he pulled away roughly running his hand through his hair. He walked to the wall and slid down. “I should have been paying more attention, scouting the area. We wouldn’t be here; we would have been at Gracie’s house already and closer to stopping Kradon.”