Chapter 36 Love Revived

Over twenty hours later Aiden showed up on Deanna's and Troy's front door in Chicago. The shock was so bad that Deanna fainted in Troy's arms. Troy was speechless as Aiden walked through the door.

"Hi, dad." Aiden said, then he strolled straight for the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator door pulled out some juice, poured himself a glass and then fixed himself a sandwich while Troy laid his shocked wife on the sofa. Troy fanned her, hoping that she would wake up.

Hearing the word dad felt so good to him. Troy was beaming from the inside. "Um...Hi, Aiden."

"Hope you don't mind if I crash here for a few days. I've been in Thailand. Long trip, jet lag. I'm hungry and tired."

"Ah, no. We wouldn't mind that at all."

"Good." He swiped out the cell phone and called the door attendant. "Would you please bring my bags and the cat carrier to room 2014."

The next few days in Aiden's life were filled with healing and restoration. They spent days hashing through the past, mending the pieces that could be mended and discarding the past that could not be repaired. They cried a lot, prayed a lot and then dedicated themselves to each other. The future that lay ahead of them was bright. Deanna and Troy finally had their son back.

"I wish you didn't have to go, Aiden," Deanna said.

He leaned down and kissed his mother. "I'll be back. I promise mom, I'll be back."

Aiden turned and gave Troy a bear hug. "Thanks for your patience with me, dad."

"Love always goes the distance, son. I love you."

Aiden smiled, then he picked up Flannery's travel cage and put it on the luggage cart. Deanna waved tearfully as Aiden got in the elevator. A taxi was waiting to take him to the airport. He only had one more stop. Aiden flew to New York. He stayed a few weeks with Anna and Ted. Anna helped him with some very important plans.  Then he got in his A5 and headed for Ellijay.

***

"So, did she buy it?" Aiden said laughing as he entered Bruce's truck.

"Yeah, she bought it after Ella threatened to skin her alive if she didn't attend the ball.  According to Jas and I quote, 'that's what we have staff for.' Come on, man. Who throws a formal black tie event in Ellijay? Especially at the inn.  Couldn't Anna have come up with something else?  Look at me, I feel like a stuffed penguin."

Anna had staged a ball at the inn. According to the plan, there was to be an expansion for one of the wings of the hospital and a group of donors had come down to see their investment.  Ella, Michelle and Bruce helped her to co-ordinate it. They hired actors to act as investors. It took a few weeks to pull it all together.

Aiden was so excited to be back in Ellijay with his plans moving along with precision that he hadn't noticed Bruce. "Oh, my goodness, look at you Bruce!"

Aiden tossed his head back and laughed. Bruce wore a black tuxedo, grey shirt and navy tie. For one evening his cherished bandana and redneck t-shirts had been tucked away. "You look like a model, man!"

"Stop it, Aiden. You know I feel about as awkward as a bullfrog in a building."

"I'm telling you, this could be the start of a new career."

Bruce tugged on his neck tie and loosened it a bit. He rolled his eyes at Aiden.

"I know Michelle has got to appreciate how good you look."

That made Bruce squirm. Michelle had paid him more compliments today than he'd ever heard since they were married. "Aww, well, I might need to do this more often – for Michelle, anyway," he said quickly.

Aiden slapped him on the back. "Good."

***

Jas stood at the top of the stairs and was stunned at how the lobby had been transformed. All the new furnishing that Aiden had provided had been placed in the back lot in storage containers.

Now, there were tables and chairs draped in fine white linen. They had huge floral centerpieces overflowing with pink and purple flowers.  The wood floor with the bear rug was now covered by an expensive looking oriental rug that stretched the length of the floor.

The fireplace was blazing and decorated in beautiful floral garlands. The staff that was normally dressed casually swirled around looking elegant in black suits. Tall candelabras were scattered about the room creating a magnificent ambiance. A band played soft jazz in the background. Guest began to spill into the inn.

Michelle came running down the hall. She tapped Jas on the shoulder. "What are you doing out here? You need to be getting dressed."

"He hasn't called."

"Who?"

"Aiden?"

"Jas, would you please come on. The most important people Ellijay has ever had will be at this ball tonight. With Nanna gone, you represent this place. You've got to be ready."  Michelle tugged on Jas until she followed her down the hall. "Aiden's been through a lot, Jas. Don't give up on him."

Jas began to pout. She just knew joking with Aiden about Flannery would make him come running.  But that was almost two weeks ago.  Michelle, looked at her dismal face. "Suck it up, Jas. You need to make Nanna proud."

"This is a really big event, isn't it Michelle?"

"Biggest thing that Ellijay has ever seen."

They stepped in room 208. Aiden had bought each of them most elegant white gowns, with Jas's dress being the most outstanding of all.  But they told Jas that the dresses came from Ella.  When Jas saw her dress, her mouth dropped open.

"Michelle, what is this? It must have cost a fortune."

The gown was exquisite. It was form fitting, covered in lace and what Jas thought were rhinestones. They actually were diamonds. Laid on the side of the dress was a diamond tennis bracelet, ear rings and necklace.

"No, it didn't, child. You know Ella doesn't spend money but she can bargain hunt with the best of them. She ordered both our dresses off line somewhere. Now stop fretting and get dressed."

Jas took one more look at the dress. She wasn't totally convinced, but she decided to go with it. She and Michelle dressed.  When they finished with their hair and makeup they looked stunning. 

Michelle stepped back, "Aiden might wish that he had called, when all the men's head will turn tonight. You look amazing."

Jas started laughing. "What would I do without you and Ella?"

***

Bruce and Aiden were in Nanna's quarters with Nanna and Major, the Sparkman's and Anna and Ted.  Major was straightening Aiden's tie.

Nanna stepped back and sighed. "You look so handsome, Aiden"

Aiden was beaming dressed in a white long tail tux with a grey shirt and purple tie. Nanna tucked a purple carnation into his lapel.

Bruce was holding Flannery. She was wearing a cute white dress for cats that they had to fight with her to put on. Her collar had a tiny pink flower attached to it.  Michelle burst through the door. "She's ready. I told her not to come out until I came back but you know how she is."

Aiden smiled. He picked Flannery off of Bruce's lap. "Come on girl, she says that she wants you back."

"Do you have the ring?" Bruce said.

"Yeah, it's in my pocket."

"Is Ella and the media crew in position?" Nanna said.

"Yes," said Michelle, "As soon as Jas leaves the room, she and the staff are going to transform that room. The photographer and videographers are stationed everywhere." Michelle, also knew that was her cue. She ran from the room to get Jas.

"All right, then let's go," chuckled Aiden.