Chapter 12 Unexpected Visitor

"That girl hasn't called me in three days," Nanna chuckled. She reached down, stroking Flannery, and then picked her up. "Can you believe it? They've abandoned us." The cat meowed in agitation as if she really understood. "Well, as they say, no news is good news, right?"

Nanna hated to admit it, but with Jas being gone she felt like a different person. Not that she minded Jas being around, it's just that without her she felt like she could make her own decisions. One of the decisions that she made was to have Michelle take her to the mall to buy new clothes.

This is something she never would have done with Jas around. But with Jas out of the picture she felt like dressing up for Major every time they talked. She loved his comments on how nice she looked. Though she'd never ask. But surely, she could tell that a little black dress was much better than a house duster and fuzzy slippers.

She was standing on the front porch waiting for Michelle to drive up. Nanna could see the copper colored Silverado as it winded up the two-lane road and pulled into the driveway. Michelle pulled the car up and opened to door for Nanna from the inside. Her mouth dropped when she saw the new color of Nanna's hair and that she was wearing a pair of skinny jeans, black boots and a fashionable black pull over sweater.

"Nanna!"

"Close your mouth, child. I know you've never seen me in pants before."

"Or boots, or with red hair – make up, you're wearing make up?"

Nanna harrumphed. She gave Michelle a sideways glance. Then she buckled her seatbelt and proceeded to look out the window, with visions of Major dancing through her head.

"You're not getting off that easy, missy. Jas is away and now you're a glamor gal? What's going on Nanna?"

"Change is good, right."

"Not for Nanna's."

The old woman's eyes glistened as she laughed. "Nanna's need change too."

"So, you're telling me that you just woke up and said, hey let's play fix up. Come on now, I know better."

"I haven't heard from that granddaughter of mine in three days."

"Oh no, you're not changing the subject."

Nanna patted her foot on the floor. She glanced over at Michelle and shook her head. "Perhaps I should have driven myself to the mall."

Michelle laughed, "You know good and well you don't like to drive anymore."

"But I still can, you know." Michelle eased onto the ramp leading to the freeway. They'd be at the North Georgia Premium Outlet in about 30 minutes. "What's going on Nanna."

"Life, my dear, just life."

***

Michelle didn't press Nanna anymore about her change of pace. She quietly observed. Michelle was stunned as she tossed bags of Anne Kline, Nine West, and Liz Claiborne goods onto the seat and floor of the truck. Nanna kept the three bags of jewelry she'd bought with her on the front seat. Michelle eyed the bags recalling the expensive watches, necklaces and rings that were in them. She'd have a lot to tell Bruce and Ella when she got back home.

They stopped briefly off and picked up a hamburger from Dairy Queen before going back to the inn at Nanna's request. Has she hit her head or something? Michelle pondered. Nanna believed that the only food she needed for life was what she cooked at the inn.

Nanna bit into the burger with gusto. "Haven't had one of these since Harvey passed. You know Harvey and I used to have a good time together. We used to go to Dairy Queen once a month. Always on a Friday."

Wow, where did that come from. "Jas said you really loved Harvey."

"I did. He was the man of my dreams."

"Had you ever thought of marrying again, Nanna?"

Nanna picked up Michelle's hand and squeezed it. "My dear, Jas is all that I think about. After her parents were killed in the accident, I married my life to hers." A tear trickled down her face.

Michelle felt as if her heart would break. She reached over and brushed the tears back. "Don't cry, Nanna."

"Not all tears are bad. These are good ones. I'm crying because I know that I have given her all that I can and there is only one other person that can give her the rest of what she needs."

Ten minutes later they pulled into the driveway of the inn. Michelle got out the car and started grabbing Nanna's bags. She looked over her shoulder, "Whose limousine is that?"

Nanna had her head inside the back seat of the truck so she didn't see the car in the guest parking lot. She grabbed the bags and pulled them out the truck. "What limousine?" She stepped back and peered around the trees. She stepped back until the vehicle was in sight. When she saw, who stepped out the car, she dropped the bags, stood with her mouth gaping then stumbled against the truck. "Lord, have mercy."

Michelle rushed to her side. "Nanna, are you okay? Then she turned to see the man Nanna was staring at. "Who is that?"

Michelle watched Nanna's face turn ghostly pale. Michelle tapped her on the shoulders as the man approached. Nanna didn't respond, she stood there looking like a deer caught in headlights. Her mind was scrambling to try to cook up something to get Michelle off her trail. Finally, she did something that she knew she'd probably regret. Nanna stomped towards the man and screamed.

"Didn't I tell you not to come around here! I will never sell this inn."

Her heart was beating out of her chest. This is not the way that she'd imagined greeting her love. She'd imagined it would be like the romance novels she'd been reading. Oh, my God, it's really him. He's so handsome. Oh, Major, please forgive me. She was grieved at the woeful look on Major's face. He'd come all that way and now she was acting like a crazed animal. She picked up a stick and flung it at him. He ducked.

Then she ran towards him. She was in his ear shot. "Play this out with me, please. I don't want the girl to know." She could see relief spread across Major's face. He nodded.

"I have enough money to buy this entire town, woman. I'm tired of you resisting my offers. I will buy this inn!"

"You get off my property right now!" She turned and glanced back at Michelle who looked horrified. Then she turned to Major. "Right now! You get off this property right now!" Then she whispered to Major, drive into town and then come back in a few minutes. He winked.

Major stomped back to the car. "This will not be the last time you hear from me! You do know about imminent domain!"

"Is that a threat!"

"If it needs to be." He got into the limo. The car sped out of the driveway, leaving a trail of spinning leaves in the wake.

Nanna crumpled to the ground, acting out the final scene. Michelle ran over to her. "Nanna, let me get you inside. Who was that terrible old man?"

"It's all right Michelle, I've dealt with vultures before. I'd just never thought he'd show up here."

That much was really true. Her heart was pounding. The sight of her handsome Major had taken her by storm. "Promise me that you will not tell Jas about this. Certain things I keep from her, she's been under enough anxiety, and you know I don't want her to take more pills."

"I understand Nanna. I promise this is safe with me. I know you will never sell this inn."

Nanna chuckled inwardly knowing that Michelle couldn't really keep a secret. It would eventually leak, but she was hoping to keep her quiet for a while. "I'm serious Michelle, this can never be found out. It would be a disaster. I can handle this."

"I promise, Nanna. This will be between me and you."