Chapter 2

Camille

The two days to the full moon passed quickly, Charlie and I both felt the pull of the moon as we held back from shifting. My inner wolf whimpered.

Come on, it's almost time to shift... I quieted her down as I walked outside the house.

"You talk to your Dad Cam?" Charlie asked me, standing next to me, I nodded.

"I told him I'll be we'll be running between the territories of our pack and the Dark Moon pack." Charlie looked thoughtful.

"I heard they got a new Alpha, their old one stepped down."

"Oh really? Well I don't know who the new alpha is; I was never close to that pack." Charlie shrugged, turning to the setting sun. I sat on the porch as it grew darker, smelling the fresh air and the woodsy smell that was so comforting to me. My wolf grew excited.

Change. She whispered. I shivered as the sensation of her starting to take over rippled through me.

"Charlotte, it's time." I stood and started to strip out of my clothes. I folded them neatly and allowed myself to shift. I inwardly moaned as my bones cracked and popped, rearranging themselves as my fur grew. I fell on four paws, shaking slightly as the aftershocks faded.

I can never get used to how weird shifting feels. Charlie Mumbled through our mindlink. I let out a wolfy chuckle.

I ignore it, ready to run? I bared my teeth in a smile. She nodded, trotting forward a few steps. We ran towards our pack territory, hearing the pack running towards us, my father at the front. I barked loudly as Dad and Jaden came into clearer view. He came over us, sniffing a little. I woofed at him softly.

Hi Dad He licked my ears in response. Dad isn't very talkative. Jaden on the other paw teasingly snapped at my tail. I turned and snarled at him, my lips pulling back, showing all of my teeth. He rolled his eyes and barked a greeting to Charlie, who smiled a toothy grin. Dad, Charlotte and I will run solo okay? He nodded, looking at me directly in the eyes.

Be careful. His voice rumbled in my head. I bowed low, not lifting my muzzle until he had passed us. Charlotte and I bounded off on our own, not paying much mind to where we were going.

Cam, do you think I'll ever find my mate? Charlotte asked out of the blues. I paused and looked at her.

Of course you will, I'm sure he'll be perfect for you, and can handle all that fire in your personality. I chuckled softly. She looked at me thoughtfully.

I think your mate will need to be patient with you; it takes a while for you to open up to people. I looked away. Me not being open with my feelings was a given. I've been toyed with for too long. Before I could respond to her, I smelled something that made my blood run cold.

Rogues. I whispered. Charlie stood next to me, listening carefully. The sound of paws slowed as they caught our scent, running was not an option.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? Lost females? Tsk. Tsk." I turned my head to see an evil-looking blonde male grinning. He was in his human form, but his teeth were feral. I growled low, he just grinned more as the entire rogue pack appeared behind him. The ranks divided and two figures stepped forward. The two shifters were both in their furs, looking at Charlie and me with interest. One had tan fur and scars on his muzzle, the other covered with copper colored fur, his tail twitching as he looked at Charlie. The tan one stared me down.

I am Alpha Damon, and I think I'll have you. He said lowly, projecting his thoughts like only an alpha can. My muzzle curled back as I growled threateningly. He looked at me. Feisty, I'll enjoy making you admit my dominance. Charlotte snarled loudly as the copper wolf tried to come closer. That's my beta Lucian; I think he's found an interest in your friend. My heart caught in my throat as I processed what was happening. Knowing that we couldn't hope to bring down an entire pack by ourselves, I nudged Charlotte with my tail, using our emergency signal to run. Both of us bolted away, running as fast as we could, hearing the alpha and beta right behind us, running faster as they yelled at the pack that we were theirs. Suddenly, something huge fell on my back and bit the back of my shoulder. I yelped in pain as the both of us crashed to the ground. I tried to throw him off, but he was too big. I cried out again as he used his paws to hold me down as he tried to take me. I tried kicking my hind legs trying to hit him. A high-pitched howl made my teeth clench as the beta held Charlie down. My wolf howled in anguish as I continued to fight. Finally, my hind leg hit something and the alpha yelped and got off me. Using this opportunity, I ran and bit the beta on his tail, making him get off of Charlie. Then, the alpha growled loudly, hitting my side with his hindquarters, knocking me down to the ground, making me shift back to my human form in shock. I jumped up and found Charlie in her skin too. We both ran into the thicker part of the woods, farther away from my father's territory. My vision turned blurry as I ran on two legs. The scratches up and down my body making me weak although they were healing fast. I tugged Charlotte behind me, her labored breathing coming in short gasps, but we dared not to slow down. The sounds of the rogues' pursuit was still almost deafening as the entire pack was on our heels. Suddenly, they stopped.

"What's wrong?" I whispered so only Charlie could hear, she shrugged, her chest heavily.

I sense another pack, it's not ours... said my wolf. The alpha of the rogues shifted to his human form, glaring at me as I put Charlie behind me, making myself look stronger than I felt.

"We'll find you. You'll be mine sweetheart, and your little friend. If you're not mine, then you're dead. You don't get away from an alpha that easy." He shifted back into his fur and turned away, walking back to the outer part of the territory. Charlie and I fell to the ground, completely exhausted. Minutes passed and we heard footsteps coming from the direction Charlie and I had been running to. The footsteps paused, and then ran towards us. My vision was too blurry to see who it was but I heard the most beautiful voice, urgent as he yelled out orders.

"Guys! Fan out and check the borders of the territory, whatever and whoever attacked the females could still be out there! Go!" More footsteps ran past us, murmuring "yes alpha" and fading away. I felt hands lift me slightly; putting a shirt on me and pushing my hair back from my face. The voice was gentle now, but I couldn't understand what he was saying. The same hands lifted me off the ground and carried me somewhere. I weakly sniffed the air for Charlie and found her behind me, her scent slightly masked by the unfamiliar smells of the males who carried us. The male who was holding me bent to whisper in my ear.

"Mine." He said softly, my wolf's howl of victory faded as I blacked out from the pain.