Chapter 24

Camille

"They're here." Charlie nodded and set the plates down as I headed outside to stand beside my mate.

Javier was in front of the house watching the SUV' park ahead, Trent beside him and me on the other side. When Alpha Travis stepped out my breath caught, he had vague scarring on his face and arms, his eyes deadly guarded as his mate stepped down the SUV and held his hand. She seemed anxious to get inside as they approached us.

"Alpha Travis, good to see you again. Let's head inside, your Luna seems frightened." Javier stated as he shook Travis' hand.

I greeted his mate, "I'm Camille. There's nothing to fear, our borders are secure and with your men I'm sure they'll watch as well." She smiled and relaxed some.

"I'm Jessice. Forgive me, it's been a rough week." She said softly as Travis looked down at her and kissed her face. I lead them with Javier towards the dinner table, Charlie being greeted by Trent as she set the last dish.

We sat for dinner, Jessice seemed to be more relieved and friendly with the hospitality. Javier and Travis were mentioning their topics at a low level, small talk going around. After dinner Javier, Travis, and their beta' left to the office as Charlie, Jessice and I sat outside.

"He got out a week ago, killed the infiltrators at our pack. He was tortured..." Jessice shook gently and tried to settle down. "All bloody, deep gashes...those damned traitors.." She cursed as Charlie and I nodded in sympathy.

"Charlie and I know what it's like...he's safe now. It's all okay." Jessice shook her head.

"No...he's come to aid your pack with this rogue war. We need to end this." She stated and I agreed, Charlie nodded and looked at the time.

"Camille, I'm going for a run. Trent wants me home when he the meeting ends, rather go now or never." Charlie said and headed out.

Jessice and I watched her "Want us to join you?" Charlotte shook her head quickly, blushing.

"So that your mates can kill me?" She joked, "I'll be fine. I'll be back soon." She said while bowing her head to both of us and sprinting into her wolf on the way.

As she disappeared Jessice glanced at me. "Don't your mates get angry when you wander off alone?" She whispered.

I sighed and nodded, "they've been angry because of that. We have guards, Charlotte though, she's been arguing with him for it so she'll do it."

Jessice smirked a little as we spoke about ourselves. She was older than I was and much more wiser, especially when her mate was an Alpha.

"Have you guys thought of having kids?" She asked, I tensed and glanced over at her serious question. "Oh..I'm sorry for being intrusive. It's just, Travis and I are having one." She blushes as I nodded.

"Congratulations! And sorry, the question caught me off guard. Your mate must be happy." I smiled

Jessice nodded happily. "Yes! He was shocked but we were having sex so often since meeting it was bound to happen." She sighed and placed a hand on her stomach. "I just want this war to end before someone gets hurt. The pack was on edge without the alpha, I was devastated. Now Travis wants me safer than ever, and I want the same for both my pup and him."

Jessice stared out into the sky as she spoke, I smiled and looked at her flat stomach. She was pregnant and happy, even with the war she was hoping for the best.

"..Wolfie mama! ...wolfie!"

My child in my dreams came to mind. Would I experience that ever? Or was I just imagining things? Either way, I still wanted to know what happiness like that would feel like. Knowing my mate is thrilled and protective of our pup even before its born. But all in all, Maybe it isn't meant to be.

Jessice shivered as the wind cooled up. "We should head inside." I recommended and she nodded. The night was cold and dark, maybe Charlie shouldn't have gone for a run, but I'd send a pack member for her. My mate needed me present as well as Jessice. I began making some coffee for the two of us as a strange feeling was nagging at me, something was off.