Chapter Six-A Pardon Too Late

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."

(Desmond Tutu)

The same nightIcheon   Located some distance away from the capital, Icheon hosts several advantages

The same night
Icheon
   Located some distance away from the capital, Icheon hosts several advantages. It's not as busy as Seoul, and it's definitely calmer over here than there. Thus, it's not a surprise that most army veterans wanted to retire in this place. One of them is Si Jin's father. Icheon was where Si Jin's parents met for the first time, and from then on, their relationship blossomed into something beautiful, finally bearing a child two years after their marriage. Icheon had a special place in Si Jin, but that was before he met Mo Yeon. Now, Si Jin himself is a blessed man–gaining more than he ever wanted; a wonderful hometown, and a beautiful wife.

   However, beauty doesn't come just like that. A wonderful vase should and must be protected and taken care of at all costs, especially if the vase is the only thing that exists in this world. People will go to great lengths to prevent the things they cherished most from disappearing from their lives. To him, Mo Yeon is like an exquisite vase that needs to be handled with care, except that this 'vase' has emotions. It requires effort to take care of her, to keep her safe. All those things he swore to do must be honoured at all times, regardless of where he was. Yes, Mo Yeon's a vase–a live vase. And to say that it's a responsibility to protect his loved ones was a complete misunderstanding. It was love that compelled him to protect her, not responsibility. There are two distinct differences in this.

   It was instinctive of him to be a bit alarmed when he heard of the fire close to Mo Yeon's workplace. It was made worse when he found out that his wife was at the site, treating the injured alongside her student. He came to know of this when he was having a casual late lunch while watching the news report on television at the canteen. The visuals of his wife doing her work stunned him, and needless to say, everyone who was present at the canteen gave him a pretty generous look. It's not that he didn't like the fact that she was there; it's just that she never informed him about it. Even Yeung Joon was concerned about this.

   He thought of contacting her but later dropped the idea as she might still be busy. The fire, he heard, never got off yet and it's still burning, which meant more saving to do. The best thing he could do as a husband was to pray for her safety.

   That night, his patience dimmed for some reason. The feeling of discomfort which began ever since he saw the news lingered and disturbed his conscious mind, disrupting his work. His worry grew into frustration when he realised that he couldn't do much. The presence of the military wasn't necessary since this is a civil matter, and with several fire brigades at the scene, there's more than enough manpower to fight the flames. Still, the tower burns like a huge torch throughout the night. His wife never once called him too. His anxiety reached its limit when he saw an updated article stating several explosions rocking the already damaged apartment.