Chapter Eleven-To Trap A Jackal

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."

(Abraham Lincoln)

South SudanBor Airport   It's been three days since the relief forces arrived and now they had only two days to leave the nation

South Sudan
Bor Airport
   It's been three days since the relief forces arrived and now they had only two days to leave the nation. Still undetermined whether or not to leave the country or to stay, Si Jin, as the overall commander of the relief force, coordinated with the soldiers of Hanbit Unit to retake the city of Bor from enemy forces. So far, the military operations worked perfectly and now Bor was nearly under UN control. However, as the deadline lingered, Si Jin had to decide whether to hand over military powers to Hanbit Unit or maintain the current command as it is. Si Jin began to realise the weakness of his plan; the failure to consider a long-term solution for the conflict in Bor.

   As the battle raged to retake the region back from enemy hands, Si Jin knew that he was gambling with more than a hundred lives under his command. So far, ten had already lost their lives in the conflict, and around twice that amount wounded. Si jin began to feel pressured. The Government back home was now reconsidering the role of his relief force in South Sudan and the Force Commander of UNMISS was trying to make Si Jin move out of the way. Yesterday, a French battalion commander visited the airport and discussed handover terms with Si Jin. It was apparent that General Kamanzi had the intention of replacing Hanbit Unit with a French force. The strange thing was that instead of talking directly with the Commander of Hanbit Unit, the Frenchman approached Si Jin as if he's the one in charge. Si Jin sensed that there was something wrong with the chain of command back home. However, with no orders from the General of the Armed Forces to stand down and return home, Si Jin was at a big loss.

   Worse, he received intelligence reports from his allies in Lebanon that there was a covert plot brokered between the North Koreans and the existing rebel forces in South Sudan; he's now a target.

   Si Jin knew that the longer he stayed in this country, the higher the risk of him getting hunted down. And with the North Koreans finally announcing their presence covertly, Si Jin felt insecure. A part of him wished that he could withdraw all of the men involved in the relief force and return home, but he had no intention of leaving the weak Hanbit Unit to the mercy of the rebels once again. The Government has since kept its silence about sending over some replacements to the weakened Unit. Unable to do anything except to wait, Si Jin could only sit and stare at the map. Perhaps, he should follow his heart and do the right thing; withdraw and return home. However, he couldn't leave yet until Hanbit Unit is strong to defend itself again.

   Si Jin's stuck in the mud. He didn't imagine that this would happen.

   Ever since the news reached them, Dae Young and the rest of the Special Forces soldiers increased their security around the Major.

   As he sat down on the chair popping his brain off in search of a solution to this problem, Myeong Joo, who had arrived two days ago, dropped by.her uniform was stained with blood all over. Her hands too. There was a little red line on the left side of her face. Unfaced by her current looks, she approached the Major to deliver some news, bad news, to him. The eyebags showed that she had little to no sleep. Her hair that was supposed to be tied up in a bun was let loose. Si Jin looked up. She saluted half-heartedly. "I have some news." She muttered tiredly. Her eyes felt heavy, but she kept it open. All she needed to keep herself working was a high dose of caffeine.