Chapter Three-Melodrama in the Eve

"If we are rich with the riches which we neither give nor enjoy, we are rich with the riches which are buried in the caverns of the Earth."

(Vishnu Sharma)

   "Jamkkanman, you're telling me that you ACTUALLY got your day off?"

   Si Jin purposefully acted innocent, looking sideways a little and rubbed the back of his hair with a weird smile. "Maybe. Why not? You don't like the fact that I got my leave?"

   Mo Yeon, dumbfounded earlier when she heard the news, smacked Si Jin's forehead. The poor man flinched and cried in pain like a baby boy. "Yah, why didn't you tell me yesterday? Do you know how depressed I was last night? Aish jinjja, what kind of guy did I marry? A simple thing as cheering up his depressed wife is hard for him to do!" Mo Yeon hissed with irritation, her eyes narrowed at him like a lion stalking its prey. "How did you convince the Commander? I thought he's not the one who backs down easily to this kind of demand."

   "Pretty simple." Si Jin winked at her, having recovered from the initial counter his wife gave him. "He gave me paperwork. I did it under the allocated time. So, I got my leave. Simple as that." he explained, his hands moving to give an idea of how much paperwork he had to do. The wife, however, wasn't at all pleased. Seeing her unmoving face and her silent demeanour, his smile dropped and he turned back into an obedient man Mo Yeon preferred him to be right now.

   "I did tonnes of paperwork every single day and I didn't even get my leave that easily." Mo Yeon sighed. The thought of Si Jin getting his break by doing a small amount of paperwork wouldn't bother her actually, but she was in a bad mood and for some reason, she felt challenged.

   Si Jin was trying his best to make her happy after yesterday's incident. He did the usual stuff–preparing breakfast, do some housework and then get ready to work. It had become a habit for Si Jin to wake up at around four in the morning to start doing things for her. Mo Yeon would wake up some two hours later. That two-hour gap was enough for him to get things moving. Usually, he would take an hour to exercise at a park outside. After that, it's back to the kitchen to do some culinary work. He would try to diversify the menu so that Mo Yeon wouldn't be bored by eating the same dish over and over again. Si Jin cooked her favourite breakfast set today with the hope that this would cheer her up and he planned to tell her about the news. He certainly didn't expect such a reaction in the end though and he felt defeated.

   Si Jin noticed that she was being moody. And a moody woman would be upset, get angry or easily get agitated over small, little insignificant things. He couldn't blame her for that though. He understood the bag of emotions she was experiencing right now and he reminded himself to be mindful of that. One small mistake and he would end up sleeping in the living room tonight. The breakfast was a failure. He brushed it aside and held her right hand before gently giving her a peck on the knuckles as she looked on with wonder. "Mianhae. I was trying to make you happy." He said as he rubbed her hand.