Prologue-The Ring, The Vow, The Swords

"Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."

(Matthew 19:6)

Korean Military AcademyNowon-gu, Seoul   There's no hiding

Nowon-gu, Seoul
   There's no hiding. The expression on Si Jin's face was so evident that even a three-year-old can tell that he was dead nervous. He had faced so many nerve-wracking moments throughout his career as a soldier, from the very start of his boot camp to dangerous covert missions with his fellow band of brothers, but he never felt this nervous before. It's like artillery shells hitting a thousand times closer to his body, and the hard thumping of his heart against the walls of his chest showed just how much his body was reacting to it. Every thump was so strong that it threatened to force its way out of his chest like those freaks in Aliens.

   Donned in his Class A uniform-the standard military greens, along with decorations and medals, Si Jin was as smart as ever. He never changed much physically. In fact, the green uniform has become a part of him now. Nothing could change the fact that he's a soldier. No doubt he had swooned Mo Yeon in his uniform the first time back in Uruk, but this uniform wasn't for show. This is who he is-a soldier, and right now, standing in front of the mirror in his room, this uniform will play a new purpose to Si Jin-his shield to protect Mo Yeon from harm until the end of their lives. Left hand pressed on his torso, he breathed in and exhaled heavily, urging his mind to calm himself before the moment of truth. It's strange that no matter how much he prepared himself for the big day, nervousness wrecked him up inside out in comical fashion.

   In fact, he still couldn't believe it. He's about to be the husband of the most beautiful woman he had ever met. The proposal at the military ball seemed to have happened yesterday, and here they are now in the chapel, in the early days of spring, a big change in a small space of time from winter waiting for the moment to arrive. It won't be long now. At any moment, his new life-no, their new life, would begin.

   There's no other person who knew him better than his best man Dae Young. He too was elated about it. His close brother, his best comrade-in-arms, and his honourable superior will achieve new heights today. He's been loyal to him ever since Si Jin was assigned to the team until the man became a Major, watching him grow from along the way while addressing each other's weaknesses. They joked, played, fought and survived through hell and high water, from the sky to the ocean. Dae Young had so much respect for Si Jin that he forgot that he was a few years older than the young man.

   "Nervous?" Dae Young asked his fellow comrade. Like Si Jin, he's dressed in the same uniform. The difference was the rank they currently hold through the shoulder patch.

   Si Jin let out a nervous chuckle. "It will be a lie if I said I'm not."

   Dae Young simply smiled. He approached from the back of Si Jin just as Si Jin turned from the mirror to face him. "As your comrade and your closest friend, or should I say, brother, I'm honoured to be your best man. Chukahae." He tapped Si Jin's left arm softly.