Chapter Two-A Black Ink on White Paper

"The mind is like a sheet of paper in this, that the impression it receivest oftenest, and retains the longest, are black ones."

(A.W. Hare)

FebruaryThree days before SeollalKBS Radio 1: With a few days left before the New Year, everyone must be talking about returning home for the holidays! It's the time of the year again and everyone is already wishing for a prosperous year ahead! Oh...

February
Three days before Seollal
KBS Radio 1: With a few days left before the New Year, everyone must be talking about returning home for the holidays! It's the time of the year again and everyone is already wishing for a prosperous year ahead! Oh, don't forget too that Valentine's Day falls within the week, so it's a double treat for couples right now! When love and family come together, it creates a joyous mood for everyone! So, folks, love each other, love your families, and as usual, stay safe on the roads because it will surely be packed during this time of the year! Thank God for the public transport system! Okay, the news is coming up next, so enjoy this super old song from the past and of course, be mesmerised by the childhood memories!

   Anyone tuning in right now would definitely hear the melodious classic playing on the radio. It's without a doubt that the festive mood was in the air now. The annual holidays was not just a simple holiday, but a holiday to remember as each and every person in Korea would return home to their places of birth and reunite with their families. It's the time to recollect old memories and build new ones. It's the time to start anew, letting go past troubles and moving on to the present. It's literally everything for every Korean citizen. As one of the most important dates in the country, this lively yet nostalgic atmosphere was nothing new. It's a practice passed on for generations and it will continue to be that way for the next hundred years.

   It's a celebration inherited by the ancestors from the past when the Chinese culture had spread far and wide in the East and thus shaped civilisation to what it is today. Korea and Japan had similar cultural roots to China. In fact, most of them were inherited and then modified from the Middle Kingdom itself. The three nations had so many things in common that couldn't be found anywhere else in the world and this, above all else, was one of the things that made Asia special. The three nations will celebrate the same event on the same day, along with other smaller nations in the region that also inherited the practice. Collectively, it could be one of the biggest seasonal festivals on Earth and Korea was proud to be a part of one big cultural family.

   However, for some people, the Lunar New Year meant nothing, especially the soldiers. Not everyone will be returning home for the holidays. And Major Yoo Si Jin feared that he would be one of them. That was why he headed to the commander's room to clarify certain things so that he could spend some time with his beloved wife. The problem was that he knew that he had been taking a lot of breaks just to accompany his wife and he feared that even Lieutenant General Yoon wouldn't allow another one. Still, he had to try. They didn't get to celebrate it the last time and now, he wanted to enjoy it with his lover. It's something he wouldn't want to miss and he definitely will have to use everything he got to get his holiday. He would kill for it too if he had to.