Chapter Thirteen-Stones Left Unturned

"Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore."

(Albert Einstein)

Bor AirportSouth Sudan   Five transport helicopters, three tanks, five infantry fighting vehicles, twenty trucks filled with armed men and four support vehicles converged towards the airport, taking the stranded South Korean troops by surprise

Bor Airport
South Sudan

   Five transport helicopters, three tanks, five infantry fighting vehicles, twenty trucks filled with armed men and four support vehicles converged towards the airport, taking the stranded South Korean troops by surprise. They were not prepared to face off against a battalion-sized armed force, not to mention the helicopters and armoured vehicles they had brought along. The presence of this large force just after dawn as the sun was about to lighten up the sky came at a good cost for the incoming force, for one, they had the element of surprise, and two, nothing will stop them from coming in full force.

   The sound of the beating blades of the rotors signalled their presence from a faraway distance. The troops, awakened by the loud noise and still dazed, could only watch as the helicopters approached the airport at a steady pace. At first, it was nothing, for the troops were accustomed to the sound of helicopters hovering the airspace frequently for the past few days. The only thing that was strange was that they came way too early as the helicopters would wander around in the afternoon. The troops were soon up for a rude awakening as they saw tanks and armoured vehicles dropping by, including the trucks. Sensing danger, the troops dressed up and began to arm themselves for an eventual fight, thinking that they were being attacked by a massive force. It was only when they saw the colour of the vehicles and the emblem that they lowered their guard and simply stood and watch with great curiosity.

   Dae Young and the rest of the leaders, including Myeong Joo and Yeung Joon, were in the terminal having an early morning discussion of their plan of action following the kidnapping of Major Yoo Si Jin when the UN forces came. They gathered outside the building and watched as the helicopters hovered above them. Immediately, Dae Young sensed danger as the soldiers began rappelling down the ropes from the helicopter to the ground instead of landing on the tarmac. Five helicopters hovered around the perimeter of the terminal, covering the exits as well. By then, some of the soldiers from the South Korean side began to aim their weapons at the helicopters and the men on the ground, as they soon realised that this wasn't a friendly visit, but a hostile takeover. As soon as the soldiers rappeled down from the helicopter, the Blue Helmets, some of them French aimed their guns at the South Koreans.

   The aggressive act shocked the South Korean troops, some of them donning blue helmets as well. For some reason, the peacekeepers had gone hostile against each other. At this point in time, there's nothing Dae Young and the rest could do to defend themselves.

   The tanks and armoured vehicles gathered around the tents and camps set up near the terminal, their big gun barrels pointing directly at the men while soldiers unloaded from the fighting vehicles. The trucks moved in after the armoured column. It was apparent now that they were outmanned and outgunned. The occupying force did not hesitate to take down anyone deemed dangerous which caused a commotion as the situation began to spiral out of control. The team leaders tried their best to maintain order among the ranks.