Lesson 12

In swimming there are two ‘seasons’: Short Course and Long Course. The difference between the two is that short course meets are in 25 yard pools, but long course meets are in 50 meter pools. Short course season usually ends mid-March and then Long Course begins in April. 

I love April. April to me is the epitome of everything wonderful yet to come: warm weather, beach days, flip-flops, shorts, ice cream, watermelon, and most of all my birthday. (My mom’s birthday too, I thought I should add that in case she reads this.)

Because my birthday is in April and Long Course starts in April. Swimming usually starts up right around my birthday, or in this case, it started back up on my birthday.

This particular birthday I didn’t have a birthday party I had chosen to spend the day with my family instead. After eating our fair share of ice cream, chips and salsa, and all sorts of other fun stuff it was nearly time for me to go to swim practice. I had made cupcakes to bring since it was my birthday and was looking forwards to the reawaking of swim-craziness.

I pulled my swim bag out of the bottom of the closet were it had been collecting dust and checked to make sure my goggles and cap were still in there. Then I went to get a towel and suit.

As I walked up the stairs my mom stopped me.

“Come into the kitchen.” She said smiling, “I have a couple presents for you.”

She walked into the kitchen and I followed her. My siblings stood around watching while my mother handed over the packages.

“Here, I thought you should open these ones now.” She said

I took the gift she was handing me and slowly ripped the paper off.

(I drive everyone in my family crazy because I am one of those obsessive people who never rips the paper. I peel the tape back and then unfold it until the gift is open.)

Anyway, I opened the present (in the way only I could) and smiled as it revealed a beautiful new practice suit. I held it up so everyone could see.

I loved it. It was turquoise and black with a swirly design on it and it was wonderful.

I smiled at my mom before giving her a hug.

“Thanks mom.” I grinned

“I figured I should give you this before practice so that you could wear your new suit to practice today.”

My grin grew even larger. I carefully ripped the tags off the suit and placed in it my bag alongside the towel.

Now I’m ready for Long Course.”

I picked up my bags and headed towards the door.

My siblings gave me hugs goodbye and happy birthday wishes before my mom and I walked out to the car. I threw my bag in the back and climbed into the front seat.

“Thanks mom.” I said again

When we got there, I was super excited to put my suit on and try it out. I ran into the locker room and quickly put on my new suit. I stood in front of the full length mirror on the wall and admired it.

It truly was beautiful.

I admired it (and myself) for a couple moments longer before realizing I should probably head up to the pool deck. I grabbed my bag a reluctantly walked out.

Maybe it’s just me, but I LOVE birthdays, specifically mine. And I love nothing more than when you walk into a room on your birthday and everybody says Happy Birthday to you. I don’t know. Maybe I’m weird, but to me, it’s one of the most wonderful moments of every year. I just love it! (And I am definitely over obsessed with it) So as I walked out on the pool deck I glanced around nervously waiting for someone to say happy birthday.

“Hey! How are you?” one of the girls asked me as she say me exit the locker room, “Are those cupcakes?!?”

I blinked at her for a moment before looking down at my right hand and realizing I was holding a bag of cupcakes. I had forgotten I was holding them.

“Yeah,” I smiled at her, “they are.”

She smiled even wider, “Awesome!!! I love cupcakes.”

“Yeah I brought them ‘cause it’s my birthday.” I said

But it was too late, she had already turned away and was talking to someone else.

“Amunet brought cupcakes!” she cheered

“They are for my birthday.” I added, but nobody heard me

Everyone continued talking and I sat down on the mat on the side of the pool where we waited for our coach. My friend Ella walked over and sat next to me.

“Heeeey,” she greeted me “So how are you?”

I smiled, “I’m good, how was your break? Did you do anything interesting?”

“Not really,” she shrugged, “I like your suit though. Is it new?”

I smiled, “Yep,” I stated proudly “It’s my birthday suit.”

She stared at me, and stared at me, and stared at me some more.

Somewhere in the middle of all that staring I realized that the rest of the team had gone quiet.

I nervously stared at my feet, suddenly the color of the nail polish on my toes had become very interesting.

Why were they staring?

Then, the silence broke.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I heard Ellie hiccuping from laughing so hard behind me.

“Birth-hahaha-day hahahaha su-haha-it?” she choked out

It took me a moment to realize what had just happened before my face turned an alarming shade of I-just-asked-where-my-glasses-were-and-they-were-on-my-head red.

I blushed from my toes to my hair roots.

“NO! I mean, It’s my birthday today and I got this suit so I!” I rambled as many words as I could out of my mouth as fast as I could.

Now everybody started laughing.

I stood there feeling very much like a red balloon.

I was finally saved by our coach who walked in and yelled for all of us to get into the pool.

I grabbed my cap and goggles and headed over.

Lesson learned: Never wear your birthday suit to practice