Lesson 17

Have you ever seen those signs that say “I fall up the stairs?” Well my sister would need one that says “I fall down the stairs, up the stairs, on the stairs and around the stairs.” In fact if you put anything even remotely stair-like around her, she is certain to fall. The irony? She’s a gymnast.

My sister is an amazing person. She is an extremely talented gymnast that makes walking on your hands seem natural and flipping through the air in scary death-defying twist look easy. She can whip out a back handspring back tucks, whenever and where ever she finds need to and can captivate strangers and friends alike with her graceful stunts. However…. she cannot walk down a set of stairs. 

In my house the staircase is located right outside my bedroom door. Many days I will be sitting in there reading a book or typing on my laptop when

Thump

Thump

Thump

Thump

A loud thudding noise echoes outside the door.

I sit up and wait for another sound.

“I’m okay!” my sister Louana chirps from the bottom of the stairs.

“Is everyone ok?” my mom asks

“Yeah, it was just Louana.” I tell her

“Ok” she says, and walks away

I sometimes wonder how she manages to do flips on a tiny beam elevated in the air, without falling, but yet can’t walk down a set of stairs. Perhaps this is another lesson of don’t judge a book by its cover?

Regardless of what it is, it certainly is a source of great amusement in my house. 

Any lesson to be learned?

Maybe

Maybe it’s this: Use the elevator