Luck has nothing to do with it

I hate waking up here. The minute I open my eyes realization hits me saying that I'm sleeping in a subway. I'm in an actual abandoned subway. I sometimes feel homeless but then I don't when I think about mom and how I left her again. I was so stupid; I should never have gone back. This is the second time I've broken her heart, the second time me being the reckless one. If John hadn't of come I probably would still be there. John, He kissed me and it wasn't by accident. He knew what he was doing it. And Cara saw, I'm glad I covered it up. I just need to stay away from him, even though he is sort of hot, Cara is his girlfriend and he shouldn't be messing around with me.

"Rachael." Just the person I wanted to avoid. I stand up and walk past John. "Please I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Please don't touch me.

"Not the person you should be apologizing to," I say as I walk past him and Cara appears who must have heard him shouting. I nod at her, hoping that she knows I didn't talk to him, before walking over to Russell who is playing pool again. Mutual grounds.

"Hey. Haven't talked to you in a while," I say.

"Yeah, I know. Been busy. I heard about you and John," he says and pots another ball. "Risky business that is Rachael."

"I know which is why I'm just going to stay away from him. I can train myself and look after myself. Also, that's a Tom Cruise film," I reply.

"Cruise fan, are we?" he asks before potting another ball. He's just so good.

"Guilty. I like that film. I like that old time Rock n Roll," I sing.

"Yes, with the glasses." I laugh, I can just picture it. I miss watching films in my bedroom. No, I mustn't think about it. I won't be going back.

"Anyway, where have you been?" I ask. I haven't seen him that much down here.

"Don't tell. I was seeing a girl, but don't tell okay otherwise I'll be killed," he jokes and gestures to his neck.

"Yes, cross my heart," I say. "Has Stephen got a girlfriend?" I'm just curious, that's all.

"No, Astrid likes him, his best friend and Hilary his co-worker and him are a little intimate," he says.

"Ah okay, is that allowed?"

"Nope," he laughs. "So, what are you doing today?"

"Who knows," I sigh.

"Well, I'm about to go and play chess with Tim if you want to come with me," he offers and sets the pool stick on the table.

"Sure, that'll be fun to watch," I say.

"Tim, that has to be cheating, man I was going to take your knight."

"Were you really Russell?" I say. "You seem to be losing to a computer." I lean back on the couch and stretch my legs out onto the coffee table.

"He's always going to lose to a computer, I know every move he can make and I know every move that can take him," Tim says. I start to laugh.

"Tim! Why are we playing this then?"

"Because I enjoy it. I can never lose." Tim is a badass.

"I love you, Tim, honestly." I stand up and hug Russell.

"Tim, I will hurt you," he says.

"You're not allowed to threaten the computer Russell, we've been through this," John says as he walks in. Not again. Please don't touch me, it's intoxicating just by you being in the same room.

"He's cheating." John leans against the wall and stares at me so I stare back. He's not the only one cheating.

"Well, he's a talking computer. You can't blame him for breaking the rules."

"Yeah, whatever. Bye Tim," Russell says and walks out. Well, stomps out.

"John, would you like to continue the game?"

"Knight to H3," he says. "I need to talk about what happened Rachael. Cara understands and she doesn't hate you," he says as he walks around the table and leans on it trying to look cool with his crossed and arms and feet. I know that already, I sorted it out myself.

"Okay, so it's sorted. Why do we need to talk about this?" I ask.

"Just to make clear what happened?"

"What happened to you then?" I ask and cross my arms.

"Well, I kissed you by accident and I didn't mean to. What happened from your point of view?" he asks.

"The same as you, okay. Just forget it, John. It's your turn," I say as I turn away from him to look at the board.

"B1 to C3."

"Checkmate," Tim says.

"What?!"

"I took the castle and the knight and king before when Russell put it out in the open," Tim says.

"Dammit. I want a rematch later. Rachael, are we okay now?"

"As okay as we're going to be," I say and stand up before leaving the room and walking over to Russell who is playing pool again with Johnathan.

"Hey Rach, I'm finally kicking Russell's ass at pool," Johnathan says happily. I stand next to him.

"Well done. John has it out for you Russell for ruining the game," I tell him.

"Let him try," Russell jokes. He pots another ball.

"Be my luck for me, Rachael," Johnathan asks and pulls me by to his side.

"Sure. What do you want me to do?" I ask.

"Kiss me, right here," he says and taps his cheek. I hesitate before kissing him quickly on the cheek. He turns red.

"You're going down Russell," he says and smirks at me before potting two balls. Johnathan pots the black ball making Russell's jaw drop in astonishment.

"Yay." Johnathan and I squeal and hug. They're both so much better than me.

"Shut up that was pure luck."
"Really? Let's have another go then," Johnathan says and picks up the cue again.

"Fine."

"Another kiss from my lucky charm," Johnathan says. I do it again making him blush yet again. I will win this round again. And he did. And Russell is once again upset and the loser.

"I need you around more often. My lucky charm arent you, Rachael," Johnathan says and kisses me on the cheek this time.

"I am, I love being your lucky charm," I say happily.

"Thank you gorgeous."