The War Is Starting

I try to stand up but I'm stuck. I open my eyes slowly and wait for my vision to clear. I pull my arms again but they're tied to the chair arms. At least it's a comfortable chair. This room looks like a study. There's a desk covered in papers and post it notes, a large bookcase on the back wall and behind me is a crackling open fireplace. I hear talking from behind the door. Got to get out. I pull stronger at the straps, then I start crying and biting in my haste.

"Easy, my darling." I yelp as the man pulls my hair back till I'm looking at the ceiling. He breathes next to my ear.

"What do you want with me?"

"Your father. He owes me money."

"Well, you won't get him. He doesn't care about me," I tell him and he lets my hair go and walks around his desk and sits down. I look up at him. "What money?"

"We gave him money to produce a certain amount of new paranormals. Now he owes us either money or product. But we've had neither." He taps at his keyboard, looking closely at his computer screen. "Rachael Martin, daughter of Jedikiah but you haven't declared that. He abandoned you as a baby." It's common knowledge, I think.

"He didn't. It was for my safety," I defend.

"And look where you are." I bow my head in defeat. I guess I'm still not safe. "We won't hurt you, you have nothing to fear here."

"Then why am I tied up?"

"I wanted to explain before you ran away."

"Oh," I whisper.

"Ash," he yells making me jump. I look behind as a young, blonde haired boy walks in.

"Sir?"

"Untie her." He nods and walks over to me. Leaning down, he looks up at me through his fringe showing his brown eyes. I bite my lip and blush as my stomach does little flips. He smiles softly and unties my hands. He watches as I stand up. "Done?" He turns around.

"Yes sir."

"Take her to the kitchen. Get her some food." Ash nods and tells me to follow him. Standing at the door, I look back at the man.

"He won't save me."

"We'll see." I shut the door behind me and follow Ash across the hall to another door.

"What would you like to eat?" Ash asks as I sit down at the counter.

"Something sweet." He opens the fridge to reveal shelves packed with food packaging. "How many people?"

"Enough," he sighs and slides and plate of profiteroles towards me.

"Thanks," I tell him. I take a spoon out of the tin and I start eating. "Homemade?" I ask.

"Yes." He's watching me as I eat. Every move I make, his eyes are on me.

"Who are you guys?"

"Guys who aren't supposed to be messed with. We work with many companies including the FBI." I thought the FBI only worked for themselves. "Your dad has gotten into some deep shit with us. This is the second time he's messed up."

"He's good at doing that," I mutter and stare at my empty plate. He always messes up. First he comes back into my life, then he disappears, then he betrays Roger and steals John, then me and then to top it off, he steals others.

In the time I have to think about his mistakes, Ash has come round the counter and is sitting next to me.

"Don't cry." I look up at him. Oh Ash, if only you knew what I've been through in the past year. "I promise we're not going to hurt you." He touches my hand, then my cheek and starts to lean in—.