Adjusting to new surroundings

"Hi." I look up to acknowledge what the young boy had said. Then I duck my head down again between my knees. I hear him sit down next to me, his back knocking the lockers making them clatter. "Hi, I'm Russell."

"And I don't care," I mutter. I don't want to talk to anyone. 

"I'm only trying to help," he says. What, by talking to me?

"Clearly. Anyway, please leave me alone," I say rudely.

"You know, we all go through this transition," he says. "This is nothing new."

"What do you mean?" I look up and wipe away the tears.

"All of us here, we had to leave our families. Its to keep them safe, to keep Ultra away from them."

"Ultra?" I question.

"There are these people who track us down and remove our powers." The men who were chasing after me. What would they have done to me? To lose my powers, I wouldn't be able to cope. 

"Our powers? You mean the teleportation and the telekinesis and the telepathic," I say.

"The three Ts, that's what we call them. And yes, they take it away from us, leave us alone after that," he says. But being left alone doesn't sound half bad. To be normal again. 

"Oh. It still doesn't make up for that guy kidnapping me," I say. He puts his arm over my shoulder and I squeeze up next to him.

"That's John. He's alright, he was just looking out for us. We're all family here. We have to look out for each other, a family," he says. "You'll fit right in. Trust me, our mate Stephen rebelled for a while till he accepted it too and Cara the one next to John attacked John on their first meeting."

"She didn't seem to like me," I say. I mean, the scowls said it all. 

"It's only because John had to go up top and risk his life. Shes fine," he says. "So, can I know your name?" he asks.

"Yeah, it's Rachael."

"Nice to meet you, Rachael. Do you want me to show you around?" he asks as he stands up. He holds out his hand to me but i push it away. 

"No, I find you later. I rather just stay here," I say. "I just need to adjust to the scenery." 

"Suit yourself. Trust me though, you'll feel at home soon. I'm off to play pool now with Johnathan," he says and turns the corner and I hear him yelling for his friend. 

I finally find the strength to get up from the cold ground which has molded into my bottom, the cold now a normal thing to my body. I would really like to go home but I can see that 'John' guy following after me again and I don;t want to upset anyone for a while. I'll just blend into the cracks and at the opportune time, disappear like a cat in the night. 

I stand at the top of the stairs, scanning the view for Russell, the only person who has tried to talk to me. Love the welcome committee. I finally spot him over at the pool table. 

"Hi, Russell," I say as I walk over to him. People are still eyeing me warily. I've disrupted their lives, I remind myself. Stop staring.

"Want a game?" he asks and holds out the cue stick. 

"Yeah, but go easy. I'm not good at this," I say and take it from him. The last time I played pool was three years ago at a house party when I was a popular kid and drinking and dancing all night was a necessity to fit in. He chuckles as he moves around the table and takes the first shot making all the balls move to each side.  I line it up to the white ball and shoot making a red ball hit every side except the pocket.