Chapter 14; New York City

5 YEARS LATER

Alexs POV

 I turn on the radio and start singing and dancing around the room to the classic Arctic Monkeys. I’m literally so obsessed with them right now, you wouldn’t believe it.

 My loud singing into my hairbrush is interrupted by my phone ringing. Ugh, someone just totally ruined my solo.

 “Hello” I say a little too aggressively.

 “Woah, what has gotten into you grumpy head” I hear my best friend say down the phone.

 “You just ruined the greatest moment of singing into a hair brush history” I heard her chuckle and it brought a smile to my face.

 “Listen Alex, I’ve got some freaking amazing news and you have to promise me you’ll say yes” I raise my eyebrow but then realise that she can’t see me…smart Alex.

 “Yeah course, what is it?”

 “HARRY ASKED ME TO MARRY HIM” What? Holy shit.

 “No way. Congrats that is amazing! So what am I saying yes too?”

 I am so happy for her. Ever since I left she has been sending me emails at least 3 times a week updating me on their relationship and how things are back home. It’s like I have never been away, but I haven’t seen her since I left, which is quite a long time but I never felt the need too. Dad visited me here in New York twice a year and I talked to Phoebe so much it is like she is living with me.

 “Well, duh. You’re going to be my made of honour.” I felt a smile creep up to my face.

 “Awesome, I can’t wait. Listen sorry Phoeebz I gotta go, don’t want to be late for work”

 “Okays bye! I’ll message you all the details so you can get your butt back in the UK” I chuckle to myself as she hangs up.

 I grab my keys and head off to work.

 I’ve lived here in New York for almost 5 years now. After I left England it felt right, a new fresh start. I transferred to NYC and finished my degree two years ago.

 Right now I work in a café 2 blocks away from my studio apartment. It’s not that well paid but I do gigs and stuff at bars at night trying to get noticed by someone and that earns me a little money too.

 I like life here though, it’s easy and carefree. I have a small group of friends that are awesome and crazy just like me. I haven’t really met a guy here yet, I mean a few guys that I’ve got on a date with but none of them are him.

 I’ve been going to this therapy here and surprisingly the doctor was right. Even though I doubted it highly for so long, my memory is all most fully back. I remember pretty much everything apart from small details but I’m fine with that.

 It’s a breath of fresh air not having the memory loss as something blocking my pathway, I am finally free.

 However, It did bring back things with Niall. With the memories brought back feelings and guilt. He is such a sweet guy and because I was so frustrated with the memory loss and trying to get it back I was harsh and didn’t give it a chance.

 I wonder if he will be at the wedding. What am I on about…course he will be. I haven’t seen or spoken to him since I left him in the door way of his apartment but he creeps into my mind pretty often. He doesn’t even know I have my memory back.

 I think at the wedding I’ll let him know everything and start fresh. When the memory came back it made me realise what I felt for him and it was a pretty strong feeling, which doesn’t come from nowhere. We had a connection and I’m hoping we will get it back. If he doesn’t want that I can deal with friendship, I just want him back in someway. I miss my crazy little Irish loser.

 I open the door to the café and the bell above the door rings causing Kate to look up.

 She flashes me a smile. “Hey Lex”

 I scowl at her and she laughs. “I told you not to call me that”.

 “Whatever. You’re Lex to me but get behind this counter this place is packed.” I let out a small chuckle as I walk past her to the back room.

 I place my bag down on the table and grab the apron from the hook. I tie my newly styled ombré hair into a high ponytail and joined Kate behind the counter.

 “Guess what? Phoebe is getting married!” I exclaimed as I went to sign into the cashier.

 “No way! That’s awesome. So you going back to England?”

 “Yeah. Sorry gotta ditch you for a few days. Aparently it’s in a week, she could’ve told me sooner haha” She puts on a really sad face and becomes all dramatic.

 “Oh no! The pain, I don’t know what I will do without you” She fakes a sob which makes me chuckle.

 The man behind the counter clears his throat.

 “Urm..Sorry sir, What would you like today?” I see Kate wink at me from the corner of my eye.

 Nialls POV.

 I got the call from Harry about his wedding so long ago but the big day is finally tomorrow. It seems so surreal that my best mate is getting married and I don’t even have a girlfriend.

 I’ve had a few small flings but none of them lasted, probably because they weren’t her. Harry and Phoebe have tried so many times to hook me up , I think they’ve finally given up though.

 Since she left just over 5 years ago it has been so hard. Not seeing her by the music block laughing at something completely stupid. Or saying her sarcastic comments whenever someone says something stupid. It has been different, but that is life I guess.

 I don’t think it has probably hit me that I am seeing her tomorrow. I wonder if she has an American accent from living in New York? Have her looks changed? Has she got a job? A boyfriend?

 I bet she is doing great out there living her dream. When we were going out she told me that one day she wanted to move to New York and live the celebrity dream and she had it all planned out. I loved listening to her future plans and my heart always skipped a beat when she mentioned my name, it gave me sign that she hoped for me in her future.

 I’m brought out of my daydreams by a girl that works in the same office block as me.

 “Hey Niall” Her voice is so fake and annoying but she is hot, I’ll give her that.

 “Hi Steph. You need anything?”

 “You got a date for that wedding you’re going to?” She sends me a flirty look.

 I mean don’t get me wrong or anything, I’m sure she is a nice girl but we don’t have anything in common. She has been hanging around me ever since I started my job at the agency. My friend Liam says she has a shrine for me, he is such a jokester sometimes.

 I guess it would be good to have someone at the wedding so I don’t look like a complete loner. I bet Alex comes with her new amazing boyfriend she probably has.

 “Urm..You free tomorrow?” Her lips spread into a smile.

 “Yes! Pick me up at 10” And with that she walked away.

 I can’t tell if I’m excited or nervous for this wedding tomorrow. Maybe it will be good to talk to her, she how she is doing. I have to remember not to let my guard down and fall for her all over again. I wouldn’t be able to take it.

A/N

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I'll  be uploading the next one once this story reaches 2,000 reads so tell your friends about it :) 

Dedication to: Mrsmarcelhoran for being so sweet :*

please comment/vote it means a lot to me!

Emilyx