XLIII: Sasuke's Last Days (Part 2)

QOTC:

Inkeeper: I see you're the famous Neji.

Neji: My reputation precedes me. Hopefully not all bad?

*************************************************

Chapter 43: Sasuke's Last Days (Part 2)

* P L A Y   S O N G*

"I've met your mother, you know." Hotaru said as she kept a pensive glance to the Kazekage, toiling from behind. "She looked just like Temari. That's why she was your dad's favorite." 

Far next to the room they were standing, was a hyaline sliding door that leads to a white-painted balcony. Temari stood by it, and however spectacular the view, Gaara couldn't trace the sunshine in her angelic face. He'd been watching her for a while, like she was some part of him he didn't want to be unattached. 

"It happened a long time ago. I was in the woods, hiding, running, I flew from Uwa until I ran out of Chakra. My wings were exhausted. I remember a bunch of rogue-nins were after me, so I just had this stupid idea of burrying myself into the sand so my sufferings would end. But I know that's impossible. Because I'm immortal. And I still have something to survive for, is to stand by my own and take my revenge someday. But I was eighteen, with no one else to watch over me so I had to look out for myself alone. No one trained me. I was so scared. Until that very night I knocked up into this door to beg for water, and guess what? A little girl with four high ponytails was the one who answered." 

Hotaru sighed. "That was the same moment she gave birth to you. Your dad really freaked out because you didn't turn out to be normal. I remember you were about the size of her hands, and she totally cried because she didn't expect you to survive, because before she had you labored, the doctor asked her to choose between the two of you. She said she'd die a thousand times for your sake, and saved her last breath in cupping you by her side... Wishing she could have spent more time with you."

Gaara didn't turn to look at her. He closed his eyes at the abrupt anachronism, arms folded. "Why are you telling me this?" 

"I'm saying this because I want you to consider on letting Temari go." She said it in her earnest voice, knowingly the Sandman was not the tolerant sort. "She released me from prison for your sake. I think it's time you return her the favor." 

Gaara stared at her with those eyes again, holding her hand, as he crept a smile. Why you never cease to know everything. Hotaru perked up as she grinned too, then she watched as he slowly seperate himself from her.

Outside, Temari's arms were leaned at the rustic terrace. Funny how eminent she could see beneathe the delightful streets of Synagogue, her thoughts were swimming deep into the ocean. Wonder where could she possibly be heading to...

Gaara approached her, but not the way he'd bawl her out for being so carefree, but perhaps a little more gentle. "I'm sorry for the baby." He said. Despite Temari's request of not having to mention a word, "I just can't bear seeing you like this..." He was standing next to her, her elbows crouched. She was frowning. "It's just... Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on you. I knew this was going to happen, all the more reason I had to protect you. I realized something then—'' Temari felt taken aback, because this could be the first time his brother spoke with so much stamina and principle—I didn't want to be seperated from you anymore. And that's what I keep on forgetting. I was afraid you were supposed to lead your own life without me, that you'll be gone and forget about everything we Sand Siblings lived through." Clouds glided over the cerulean Sky, as he turned to look at her, the way he'd thanked her back at the Invasion. "But sometimes, when you love someone, it's not about what's best for that person. It's when their happiness counts."