II: Quest to the Land of Sound

QOTC: [About Temari] You two have history together.

- Tsunade to Shikamaru

**************************************************

Chapter 2: Quest to the Land of Sound

A newly pack of cigarettes were sitting smulgy in his pockets, as Shikamaru walked upstairs that lead to the Hokage's office. After spending the entire day in blue funk, the pinapple-headed slacker realized he still has an appointment to meet with the rest of Team Asuma. He was glad the spot he'd reserved for cloudgazing everyday was not far from the Hokage Tower.

So far, less missions have been assigned to them. He had become a chunin so he was promoted with the task of a moderator. However, as of now, the Chūnin exams that were usually held thrice a year was delayed, due to the inconvenient recovery of the village.

As he had entered the hall, something made him retard towards his footsteps. He knew it would be natural of him because he was a very lazy boy, but then he stopped where he stood and listened.

There was strain on the Gondaime's voice as she spoke. "Three days ago, the Sand held a celebration of welcoming Gaara back after traveling into the Water country for some mission. The neighboring countries were invited, and most of them have traveled far from the Land of Rise fields located at the end of the Land of Sound. The next morning, Temari was gone and didn't even leave a note." She paused, probably handing a scroll. "According to the information we found, three Sand ANBUs have witnessed the whole kidnapping that night and sent word to the kazekage that they'll be back soon after rescuing her. Last night, they were found dead not far from Otogakure..."

Shikamaru had his brows arched, pretending to wait after the whole discussion was finished. The door was left slightly ajar it was good enough to hear what Tsunade and the rest were talking about, whether he liked it or not.

"If Kabuto won't her return her, Gaara will be forced to deploy. War is in the air, and if we don't do something about it it the consequences will be insufferable."

"But why? What would Madara and the others want with her?" Questioned a feminine voice, particularly Ino.

Tsunade halted for a moment and said, "you can come in now."

With a deep inhale Shikamaru stepped in, and the first thing he noticed was the Daimyō's papers flooding her desk, which she has obviously forgotten to file the previous week. And there was Sai, standing there emotionless. It was always very noticeable on him because his skin was so pale. Yamato was summoned too, and next to him was Choji to his surprise; wasn't bringing any junkfood with him, and Ino—whose blue eyes were shining at him radiantly. Her hair was gorgeous.

In certain times like this he would have yawned, or grumble upon a troublesome morning. But he stared at Tsunade differently, his eyes filled with energetic meditativeness as if he were a midschooler who missed the first period.

"Well?" Tsunade says, laying her hazel eyes towards the intelligent boy. "You two have history together." She said dismissively, as if trying to predict what could he be possibly thinking.

Shikamaru blinked, hoping to be somewhere else. He remembered when he first met her in three years, to serve as the chunin exams' proctor. When she was impressed at the thought of him getting up early since he was hired to escort her. "Let's cut the dramatics and begin, shall we?"

                                          ♕Thε Nεx† Uςhïhα ♕

               AND DARKNESS SHALL HAVE NO DOMINATION

Hinata was twiddling her fingers frantically, praying she'd be able to dim her dither without ever having to faint again, a nervous and habitual gesture she didn't know if she was aware of.

She was watching both of her comrades spare like there was no tomorrow(not that she hadn't grown attached to it everyday), as the waiting kept her on tenterhooks. She and Team Kurenai were recently dismissed on a simple chaperon mission, after accompanying a gaggle of academy juniors. It was a fun thing to do because she was physically drained, so Kiba decided to take her out and eat lunch at Ichiraku's since Shino seemed so busy in the moment. And unneighborly.

Last week her sensei had given birth to Asuma's child. She was healthy eight pounds, and all of them were gathered to witness the heavenly moment—Kakashi, Gai, the jonins who weren't sent on any outside missions. She had Kurenai's ruby eyes and skin brown as Asuma's. And being the first to pick her up, she was greeted with joy and a downgrading sensibility inside her. When she was young she always assumed she would have kids with Naruto someday, where in they'll have his blue eyes and her navy dark hair. She doubted that day would come.

Stop fantasizing. It's never gonna happen. Says her Inner, whom she had developed later on. Yes, Hinata apparently has a dark division, one she hasn't displayed yet.

So when she stared back at the match where in Shino had lost, Kiba winked.

She actually turned to see if there was anyone behind her, to see if she was the person he was appealing to, because the Inuzuka boy could he very improbable. Sometimes she wondered if Neji had ever instructed him to stay away from her, because if he had, Kiba will only gradually add himself to the list of Hiashi's undesirable suitors. She smiled as she saw Akamaru sit next to her. His tail was wiggling, indicating he was happy. Hinata tousled his fur. She always thought wherever Kiba would go Akamaru would have access to his mind, as if he'd already memorized what kind of people his master would tend to right now.

A branch broke. It couldn't be a coincidence.

Apparently they were at the training grounds, where in next to the area's local point was the Forest of Death. She was sitting in a bench not far from there, where she could see the metal fences sorrounded by thick vines like an island—protecting them from the reptiles that must have kept inside.

She looked into Akamaru if he could feel it too, and he growled in response, staring at the forest.

Hinata glanced around. To her luck Kiba and Shino haven't finished on skirmishing themselves, and so she took a step forward and departed slowly. Byakugan! But there was nothing in there, not except for the harmful insects that crawled in the orange afternoon, and something more worse than that.

She tried to scan the insides of the unconsecrated forest, as if she were a CCTV camera trying to examine who the real culprit is. Could it be possible she made a mistake? Akamaru was trying to haul her away by making crying noises, but Hinata insisted. She was glaring at the silver poster that was nailed on the Chakra-electifying steel, it says: DANGER. STUDENTS ARE NOT REQUESTED TO GO NEAR THE FENCES...

And in that moment something was pierced inside of her, a sharp, pointing object. She didn't have the energy to scream, or to dodge what was coming.

"Found what you're looking for?" Sasuke said from behind, plunging the Kusanagi from her waist, before darkness has consumed her.

**************************************************

FACTS

- This chapter is inspired by the book Destiny is Unpredictable. 

Deleted Scene: Kurenai, Shino and Kiba eating at Ichiraku's as she gives birth to Asuma's child: namely Ousama (means King) 

6.17.13

Vomment:)