Chapter Twenty-Five

|Never Return|

It's dark in here. All I can hear is my inhalation, and feel my warm breath roll off the surface above me. Condensation coats my cheeks. Moving my toes, I hit them against the end of my confinement. They've zipped me up, locked me away. I'm good as dead now. Each breath I take becomes shallower as my heart beats once every few seconds. I'm becoming one of the Draftees who never return.

"Irissa," says a familiar voice.

"Huh?" I turn to face Kyler, who is standing in the doorway of my room.

He steps inside with caution. "Looks like you were in deep thought..."

"Yeah," I say. "I was actually picturing myself locked up in a body bag, at Sylas's disposal." Kyler clears his throat, shoving his hands into his lab coat pockets. "That's a scary image," he says. "How about I make you forget about all of that?"

I furrow my brows. "How can you do that?"

I hope he doesn't want to kiss again.

He steps closer, looking down into my eyes. "I just need to know you're still with me after all this," Kyler asks.

"What do you mean?"

Kyler's fingers weave into my own, giving them a slight squeeze for reassurance. He steps back, turning to walk toward the door. He disappears, and then returns with someone who is frail and pallid.

"Finn..." I say his name in an almost whisper.

"Irissa!" He storms toward me.

I'm swooped up into his arms. I've almost forgotten how tall he is, as he spins me around in circles. Wrapping my hands around his neck, I hold on, pressing my face into the curvature of his neck and shoulder.

He sets me down, still holding me close. "I'm so happy to see you're okay," Finn says. "When I was dragged away from you and my dad..." His voice strains.

I step back, gazing up into his blue eyes. "I'm okay, Finn. Don't worry."

He nods, now forcing a smile.

Standing on my tip-toes, I bring his face close to mine, pressing my lips against his. I've missed this feeling.

I'm so lost in this moment with Finn, I have completely forgotten about Kyler standing by the door. He shifts uncomfortably, scuffing his shoes on the marble floor. Pulling away from the kiss, I look past Finn, noticing the hurt expression across Kyler's face. It makes me feel guilty. Even if I'm pretending to have a relation with Kyler, I still hate the fact I'm only stringing him along and using him. Sylas is using Kyler too. He just doesn't know it yet.

Kyler says, "I will give you guys a moment together. It can't be long, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm already in deep water if I get caught doing this." He stares directly at me, his brown eyes swimming with tears he doesn't dare let fall.

"Thank you, Kyler," I say softly.

He walks out, shutting the door behind him.

Finn looks back at where Kyler once stood. "Is something going on between you two?" He's looking at me, again.

Sighing, I walk over to my bed. The rose petals have withered, turning a slight brown on the edges. Sitting down, I wait for Finn to join me, but he doesn't. He just stands in the center of the room, waiting for an answer.

"Something did happen," I say with ease.

I have to tell him the truth, even if it hurts.

"What does that even mean, Iris?"