Chapter Twenty-Two

|The Trade|

Bianca's innocence has diminished in the short time I've known her. Now I see a young and scared girl in an impossible predicament. I should be going through this with her, but instead, I ran away. Does this make me a coward? Earlier in the car, when I saw myself in the mirror, I just looked...vengeful.

She hugs me again, and this time I can tell she is reluctant to let me go. Pulling away first, I wipe her tears with a swipe of my thumb. The corner of her upper lip curves upward, her attempt to smile. It's not possible to smile in this situation.

I'm too late... This thought keeps reverberating through my mind.

"Come with me, Bianca," I plead.

She shakes her head. "I'm too scared!" Her voice echoes through the room, causing a few moans from the sleeping Borrowed.

Someone stirs in the nearby bunk, calling out into the dark. Tugging on Bianca's arm, I lead her back toward the door where Kyler waits patiently. His arms are crossed as he watches us approach. He reaches out, ushering us into the fluorescent lit hallway.

"Hurry, we can't be seen," he says, leaning against the wall across from Bianca and I.

I glare at him. "Just keep an eye out."

His eyebrows rise. "Funny, last I checked, that's what I was doing."

Grumbling, I turn to face Bianca. "Listen to me, okay? I'm not leaving this place until all my questions are answered, and I'm not leaving until you come with me. Got it?" Bianca's eyes fill with tears. She wipes her lower lids before the tiny droplets escape, trying to conceal her lack of strength.

"I'll do whatever you need me to do," she says. "I trust you completely."

"Thank you," I breathe out. "We better go."

Kyler pushes off from the wall, walking ahead of us. I watch him from behind, inspecting the way his body moves. I still can't believe he didn't tell me we're the same. Here he is, right before my eyes, and yet I still feel alone.

He stops abruptly, pushing out his hand to bring me and Bianca to a halt. There's yelling around the corner. Two people battling back and forth on an issue. I hear my name thrown between the two. Something about progressing and defective involves me?

Pushing past Kyler, I round the corner, and come face to face with a person I thought I once knew.

"Evelynn..." I say through my teeth, clenching and unclenching my hands at my side.

The other person in the heated conversation is Hanna.

Evelynn's eyes widen as she looks directly at me. "Irissa...sweetheart..."

Hanna steps forward. "Come with me," she says, holding out her hand to me. "Presider is ready for the meeting." She winks, urging me to play along.

"No, wait a second," Evelynn shouts, slapping Hanna's hand away. "What's the meaning of all this?" She looks past me, noticing Kyler and Bianca walking toward us.

"Your husband didn't tell you? Is he keeping you in the dark, Eve?"

"My husband tells me everything." Her cheeks redden.

Hanna stifles a laugh. "Do you think he was an honest man over the years he forced you to keep watch over one of his creations?"

Evelynn pushes Hanna against the wall, their faces inches apart. "You better watch what you say," she whispers harshly.