Second Prototype- Kyler's Story ( 2 )

Two years later

Sylas stands in front of one of the Mother Chambers, tapping his chin with his finger. I don't want to approach him, to tell him that I keep failing over and over again. That Irissa wants absolutely nothing to do with me.

I clear my throat. Sylas remains stoic, staring at the Seraph floating inside of the water chamber. "Sir," I say barely above a whisper. "I...uh - "

"You, uh, what?" Sylas finally turns around, leaning on his cane. "Well? Spit it out!"

The Seraph and I both jump as his voice echos throughout the lab.

I try again. "Irissa is not being cooperative."

"And this is any different from when you began pursuing her two years ago?" He shakes his head, a look of disgust tugging at his brows. "Come speak to me when you have good news." I watch him shift his body, turning back toward the Seraph.

Turning to leave, I stop abruptly. Sylas's hand rests on my shoulder.

"Sir?"

He sighs heavily. "Kyler, I apologize. Everything is about to change...and...well, I'm a bit on edge to be honest with you. I'm glad you came to me." His hand drops from my shoulder. I turn completely to look into his tired eyes. "I should of kept her here with us."

I nod, not knowing what to say. Maybe that I think he is an idiot for sending her to school with those terrible people. Like me, she's different. If she were here always, maybe her mind and heart wouldn't be so damn conflicted. But I don't say these things. I stay quiet. Obedient.

Sylas lifts his cane, pointing it at the Seraph floating as a light as a feather. Tiny bubbles floating to the surface as he breathes through a mask, two tubes connected to the front to provide adequete oxygen. He has the body of a ten year old.

"They are almost ready to come out of their Mother Chambers," he says with pride. "Look at him! He's a miracle. Strong. No doubt this first batch will not be tainted. No, they won't. Not like you and Irissa. These Seraphim will be pure."

"Congratulations," I say, trying to hide the hurt that balls up inside my chest. "I'm sure they will all make you proud."

Watching the gleam in eyes makes me pity this broken man. This is his life, the air he breathes. How sad, to be so hell bent on creating a perfect human, when you aren't living yourself. "Sir, now that school has come to a close, I'm not sure what you would like me to do next," I say, waiting for his temper to flare any moment.

Sylas stares at me for a fleeting moment, then smiles. "You are going to become a Borrower. I will call you back to the lab when I think you are a proper prodigy of mine." He waves me off. "Until then, go get fitted for a uniform."

Heat rises to my cheeks. That's it? After two years of tug of war with Irissa, her completely shutting me down left and right, and all he can do for me is make me become a member of his militia?

No...I won't conform to this life. For now I will play to the beat of his drum, but if I can get through to Irissa, making her see how much I care about her, maybe together we can take down the bastard once and for all. 

*******