Second Prototype: Kyler's Story ( 1 )

About: Short fiction; Kyler's untold side leading up to his mission to befriend the first prototype - Irissa.

"Are you listening to me?"

I look up from my breakfast and smile at the man who created me. "Yes, sir."

He sips his coffee, setting it down carefully in front of him. "Of course you were, you're my best student." Grabbing his coffee with a shaky hand, he takes another sip.

"I'm your only student."

"That you are," he says, "but not before long we will have another in our midst."

My fork clatters on the table. Sylas narrows his beady eyes at me. I quickly recover the utensil and shovel another mouthful of eggs. What is his plan? He must be talking about the other prototype...the girl he obsesses over day and night.

Sylas clears his throat. I look up, trying to maintain eye contact. "She is an important piece to this puzzle."

I swallow, trying to wet my dry throat. Why did I drink my water so fast?

"Kyler, are you ready for the task at which I'm about to give you?"

No, I'm not. Whatever this task he is speaking of, I want nothing to do it with it. In fact, I want to run away from this place, this desert, and this horrible man. Instead of saying these unimaginable notions, I sit up straight and nod. "Yes, sir. I'm ready."

Sylas smiles, it's a crooked smile that holds no remorse for anything or anyone. "Irissa," he says and pauses. "Finally, I share her name to you."

So Irissa is her name. The name Evelyn chose for her.

He continues, "I will be sending you to her school for the sole purpose of befriending her, watching her, or courting her...doesn't matter. She must gain someone's trust. That is where you come into play. Once you have gained her trust, we can bring her to PURE."

I nod in agreement.

Sylas leans forward, resting his elbows on the table. "You and her are the first Seraphim, Kyler. Do you realize how important it is for her to find comfort in someone the same as her? It's crucial. Do not fail me."

Fail him? He has failed her. From what I've heard during his many rambles, this girl, Irissa, she is broken, defective...like me. He's failed us.

"I won't fail you, sir," I say with bitterness tucked deep within.

Sylas looks over at Evelyn who is seated at the end of the rectangular table. She nods once with a gentle smile. "He's quite obedient these days," he says with pride.

Evelyn pushes her chair out and stands. "Kyler," she says, "this will be a difficult task. Irissa...well, she's introverted and doesn't handle emotions properly. She isn't as advanced as you. But I have faith you can help."

"I will do my best," I say, watching her walk over to Sylas and lightly pecking him on the right cheek.

"I better get back to her before she wakes," she says. "Goodbye gentlemen."

Sylas squeezes her hand. "Good day, sweet Eve."

Leaning back in my chair I watch what I think is a loving couple. What it truly is, is a power couple. One controlling the other. Sylas controlling Eve. Is this what they want for Irissa and I? If that is so, I have no idea how I will manage.

In all honesty, I hope she confides in me, because I could use someone to confide in as well.

Sylas sets his cloth napkin on his plate. "Go get your pills, you're trembling," he says with authority.

I ball my hands into fists to stop the trembles. He thinks it's my defect, what he doesn't know is that I'm scared of him. I'm scared of PURE.

I'm scared of this girl he calls Irissa.

*******

A soft knock raps on my door.

"Come in," I say while hanging up my white lab coat. It's almost dinner, normally no one comes by at this time.

The door glides open. Evelyn walks through, her hands folded behind her lower back. She gazes around my plain white room, and then at me. "How are you?"

"Fine, thank you for asking," I reply. Why is she here? That's what I really want to know. She rarely visits me privately.

Eve walks across my room to sit on the edge of my bed, settling on top of the stark black comforter. She pats the spot next to her, waiting for me to come take a seat. I close the mirror doors on my closet, then finally make my way over to Evelyn.

She smiles weakly, placing her hand on top of mine. "Kyler, thank you."

"For?"

"Being you," she says. "Being dutiful. Having you around really helps Sylas remain patient...at ease."

I carefully pull my hand away, hoping she doesn't take offense. Eve has never treated me badly. But right now, all I want is to be left alone. "What do you expect of me?"

"I expect nothing that you haven't already offered, Kyler. You are an amazing young man. I can't wait for Irissa to finally meet you," she says excitedly, but her eyes say otherwise.

This time I place my hand over hers. For some odd reason I want to comfort this woman. "What's wrong?"

"Irissa..."

"What about her?"

"She has proven to be difficult." Eve sighs. "If only she were more like you, Kyler, maybe she wouldn't have such a hard time at school." This time she pulls her hand away and stands, smoothing her hands down the front of her pencil skirt.

Clearing my throat I stand, awkwardly at that. I look for a place for my hands, but end up letting them dangle at my sides. "Don't worry, I will make sure she has someone to look out for her at school. You won't have to worry anymore," I say with a wave of confidence overcoming me. Where did this come from?

Evelyn takes two steps toward me and grabs my hands, cupping hers around them. "Thank you," she says, her eyes glistening with tears that threaten to fall. "You will be good for her and she for..."

And for me?

"...you," she adds with a smile.

Not only is she the most powerful woman on the western side of the nation, she must be a mind reader, too.

*******

Note: I wanted to have a little fun and show Kyler's perspective. This will be under 7500 words once it's all posted. Enjoy! Don't forget to vote/comment on Borrowed. Thank you!