[SNEAK PEEK #2] Chapter Two (second draft/revamped version)

Hello! Here is a final sneak peek to the second draft of "Borrowed". I added in the name of provinces (Arid and Abdicate) which will be implemented in the first chapter, too.) Anyway, enjoy!

Chapter Two: Sandstorm

Arid grows louder as midday breaks. People begin to crowd the sandy streets, hurrying to work. Everyone keeps to themselves now. The married couple in front of me walks closely together, barely allowing their hands to touch with each casual swing. The girl and boy across the street sneak glances between one another, no words spoken, and then the girl is pulled away by her mother. Everyone is reclusive.

They are scared of what might become of them, I think. 

Since the Swarm, population dropped, and the economy spiked in my province. That’s because everyone has a job, even if it’s forced into becoming a Borrowed. So now it’s each man for himself – or something like that.

But the one thing I keep echoing in my mind over and over is the Borrowed Law and how my life is slipping from my grasp. Then again, hasn’t it been this way since I overcame my illness?

Staring upward, I shield my eyes against the daylight as the sun hides behind a small, misshapen cloud. It looks like the same hand that symbolizes PURE. Before I let my nerves get the best of me again, I look past a rundown building and notice a massive cloud forming in the Mojave Desert. Only it isn’t a cloud, it’s a sandstorm accumulating.

I didn’t even hear the warning siren for this!

“Wait up, Irissa!”

A boy from school jogs toward me. He’s beautiful in every aspect, from his deep brown eyes to his raven colored hair that’s cut short in a military style. This boy should make my heart flutter, but it doesn’t. Like always, I force a smile and nod.

“Hi, Kyler,” I say, trying to hide my annoyance.

He has been following me around for a couple of years now. He sits at the same lunch table at school. We never talk, but he still sits in the same spot every day, sneaking glances my way.

 “Can I carry your bag?” Kyler asks, smiling. The dimples in his cheeks deepen. They’re adorable. Right away, I know I should say yes, but I don’t…I can’t.

I shake my head, pulling my bag close to my chest. “No, I’m capable of doing it myself.”

His cheeks redden. “Of course you are,” he says. “Actually, I wanted to ask you a question.”

What now? I think, speed-walking now.

Kyler keeps up with my pace. “Do you want to go to the flea market with me after school?” He bobs up and down with his long strides. “It will be a little celebration for our last day.”

The way he says flea market makes me cringe. He’d be scolded by our seniors if they heard him. It’s still too soon to mention that parasite that killed millions.

“Sorry, I can’t go to the swap meet. I have other plans,” I explain, keeping my reasons short and simple.

Kyler glances down at my watch.

“Yeah, right, um…” he struggles to find the words. “What are your plans, then?”

I stop walking and face him. “I don’t think it’s any of your business. Please stop following me, and please stop trying to be my friend!”

People all around us are staring at my outburst. It isn’t common anymore for citizens to act out in such a way.

“I’m sorry,” he says, furrowing his brows. “I thought maybe you –”