Chapter Six

|Borrowed Time|

Finn studies my face. He's waiting to see me crack and spill the truth. I can tell he sees through my pathetic lie. He tilts his head to the right, still inspecting me carefully. This little walk has to end soon, before I have to explain myself.

I move away from him, his fingertips brush across my wrist, creating goose bumps up and down my arm. He's smiling, and notices his presence is having an effect on me. Maybe he does, but I'm not going to stand around to find out.

Before I attempt to mutter a lame goodbye and rush away, Finn says, "That guy didn't seem happy to see you. Did you break his heart or something?" His smile broadens teasingly.

"Why would you even say that? I'd never date a Borrower!" I say, backing away.

Finn holds his palms out. "Whoa, I'm just kidding. I didn't mean to upset you."

"I know," I say, rubbing my hands over my face to wake myself up from this disaster. "Just ignore that little outburst, okay?"

Finn nods, stepping closer to me and says, "What is it you're afraid of, exactly?"

"You...people in general," I say, "and me..." My voice trails off. I can't believe my openness. Finn leans forward, no longer do the people on the sidewalk matter. No longer can I hear their anguish cries over their beloved church and pastor.

Finn wraps his fingers around the same wrist he touched a moment ago. "You can trust me," he says. "Let me be your friend."

It's ironic because it seems everyone wants to be my friend lately.

Shrugging, I turn from him. "Do you think it will be possible for me to feel whole again? You know, after I'm finished being a Borrowed?" I don't expect him to answer, but saying it out loud feels...right.

"I think it will be hard," Finn begins to say, "but over time and with the right people by your side," he pauses and his hand squeezes my shoulder, "you will be able to get past the pain." His hand guides me to face him, again.

"The right people..." I mumble, thinking of everyone who has come in and out of my life in such a short period of time.

Finn sighs, drawing my attention to him. "You know what I think?" he says. "I think we'll become great friends, Irissa." His posture straightens as he looks toward the sky at a passing military helicopter. My eyes follow the contour of his neck and jaw. A lump forms in my throat, and I find it hard to swallow.

"Keep dreaming, Finnian," I say playfully, forcing my eyes to the ground.

He leans forward, inches from my face. "And just so you know, every day that you're gone, I will be thinking of this pretty face." His finger jabs the middle of my forehead. I look into his eyes, and burst into laughter. Finn begins to laugh, too. The crowds of people outside the church stare at us, scowling and pointing fingers. They've got the wrong impression. For once, I'm laughing, and I'm enjoying someone's presence.

Goes to show laughter brings people together, even if short lived. Pain crawls over my stomach, tiny aches intensify from not having used the muscles in so long. I feel liberated, but off in the distance there is shouting, reminding me why I don't let myself reap from joyfulness. Borrowers cross the street, escorting people by force to leave the church's property.

"This church is closed and off limits!" a Borrower says. "If we see anyone loitering around here again, you will be taken into custody and punished accordingly by Arid law." His voice is harsh; however, his face seems to hold mixed emotions. I gaze at him, his furrowing brows, and scared eyes.