Chapter Twenty-One

|Keeping Promises|

"Something wrong, Irissa?"

Yes, something is wrong. I'm in another vehicle, sitting next to someone I may, or may not trust. The desert is dark, and we're speeding at an alarming rate. Last time I was in this situation, it didn't end so well.

I look over at Hanna. "Let's keep this car on all four wheels. Better yet, let's not have it explode."

She laughs, her eyes flickering repeatedly in the rearview mirror. "I promise we'll get to PURE in one piece."

Kyler sits quietly in the back, next to Chase, who happens to be sleeping. I'm not sure how he manages, but soft snores escape from his lips. Turning to my side, I glance in Kyler's direction, hoping to make eye contact, but he continues to stare blankly out the window. His head presses against the glass as his breath fogs the translucent barrier.

The headlights from behind stay close to the back of the car. Adam and Finn rode together. I can only imagine what their conversation might be. Adam is probably telling Finn to stay away from me when this is all over with.

I don't blame him. I sigh, pushing away the thought of losing Finn permanently. Out of nervous habit, I twirl the silver strand of hair around my index finger, contemplating what I will do once I'm face to face with Sylas. I'm so tired, not only physically, but emotionally, too. This is all new for me. These emotions pouring in from all directions. Hanna yawns loudly, pulling me back to reality.

"I can't figure you out," I admit cautiously.

"Then stop trying," Hanna refutes. "Once we arrive at PURE, you can find out whatever it is your little heart desires. I promise you that, okay?" In the darkness of the vehicle, the headlights from Adam's vehicle outlines Hanna's face, a frown pulls at the edges of her mouth.

"I will find out your true motives, I have that feeling," I say quietly, refusing to look at her.

The only feeling I have this instant, is the warmth inside the car. Even with the cool air escaping the vents, crawling over my skin, I'm getting uncomfortable. My palms are clammy, and an overwhelming pain jabs at the pit of my stomach. Gripping the edge of the seat, I lean forward, resting my head against the dash board.

"Something isn't right," I say, pushing away from the dash.

Kyler leans between the front seats, pressing his hand against my shoulder. "Hang on, okay?" His voice soothes me as I try to take calming breaths to relax.

Hanna says to Kyler, "She needs the pills." Tilting my head, I glance between them both.

"I'm dying, aren't I?"

"I can't say if you are or aren't."

I sit up straight, still feeling unstable. "You're my doctor! Now tell me the truth, for once!" Chase stirs from the back, his long legs bumping into the back of my seat.

"What's going on?" he says, rubbing his eyes.

Kyler says, "Irissa isn't feeling well." He doesn't want to say that I'm aging rapidly on the inside, even though we all know that's the case. I pull down the visor in front of me. Tiny lights around the mirror expose my face.

Pressing my fingers against the skin around my eyes and cheeks, I say, "At least I still look seventeen."

"Not for long," Chase says, now leaning toward the front. He looks at Hanna. "Can't this damn car drive any faster?"